Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From time to time I like to spend the evening playing along on songs that are proposed to me on Spotify as "songs you might like".

A few days ago Spotify proposed to me an artist I did not know, Patricia Barber, who immediately fascinated me and, voilà, last night I played behind some of her pieces.

They are all first-shot recordings, with the exception of "Autumn leave", for wich I had to do a second attempt.

The Thrill Is Gone

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Inch Worm

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Summer Samba

Reactions: pobeda

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ode to Billie Joe

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Autumn Leaves

Reactions: pobeda

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome to the cult of singer / pianist / composer / bandleader Patricia Barber! Her savvy vocal interpretations reward both the ear & the mind, adding depth to even the most banal lyrics. Her recordings are invariably tight & tasteful, well played & impeccably produced. For me, she is the essence of cool. More info at Basic page 1.

Like you, guidocreo, I often woodshed by playing over jazz recordings -- especially now, in this era of canceled gigs & social distancing. Patricia Barber is a great choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your ideas and taking us with you! Really liked Patricia Barber when I was 'younger' but forgot about her.

Really like your subtone sound, creamie rich and full... By the way, those Rampone saxes do look and sound amazing! Did you have to adjust to the bigger bore?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your ideas and taking us with you! Really liked Patricia Barber when I was 'younger' but forgot about her.

Really like your subtone sound, creamie rich and full... By the way, those Rampone saxes do look and sound amazing! Did you have to adjust to the bigger bore?
Thanks.

I didn't struggle much with the wide bore: after a pause of 35 years I started almost from scratch and I resumed playing with a Keilwerth baritone which also has a wide bore and then I continued with the Rampone (Tenor, Alto and Soprano).

The large bore takes more air and makes pitch control more complicated, for me at least, but I love the sound you can get out of these saxophones.

For me Patricia Barber was a real discovery, right now I'm almost obsessed with her. :)

Here I post some other play alongs.

Ciao and keep you safe.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What a shame

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just for a thrill

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too rich for my blood

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the cult of singer / pianist / composer / bandleader Patricia Barber! Her savvy vocal interpretations reward both the ear & the mind, adding depth to even the most banal lyrics. Her recordings are invariably tight & tasteful, well played & impeccably produced. For me, she is the essence of cool. More info at Basic page 1.

Like you, guidocreo, I often woodshed by playing over jazz recordings -- especially now, in this era of canceled gigs & social distancing. Patricia Barber is a great choice.
Thanks,
Patricia Barber was a real epiphany for me, I love her.

Ciao and keep you safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks.

I didn't struggle much with the wide bore: after a pause of 35 years I started almost from scratch and I resumed playing with a Keilwerth baritone which also has a wide bore and then I continued with the Rampone (Tenor, Alto and Soprano).

The large bore takes more air and makes pitch control more complicated, for me at least, but I love the sound you can get out of these saxophones.

For me Patricia Barber was a real discovery, right now I'm almost obsessed with her. :)

Here I post some other play alongs.

Ciao and keep you safe.
Being used to a baritone may be the reason it went smooth then. Or some very good lungs😉

When I have the chance I'll visit the Rampone and Borgani factory to fiddle around. But that may take a while... Enjoy playing alongside Patricia👍🏻

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
From time to time I like to spend the evening playing along on songs that are proposed to me on Spotify as "songs you might like".

A few days ago Spotify proposed to me an artist I did not know, Patricia Barber, who immediately fascinated me and, voilà, last night I played behind some of her pieces.

They are all first-shot recordings, with the exception of "Autumn leave", for wich I had to do a second attempt.

The Thrill Is Gone

I think you're clashing with her and the piano. It takes live experience to do this well, and i don't think you have it. One trick is to ALWAYS give the singer the opening line of every phrase - you take the gaps, but stop before the singer starts back. Sharing a song is an honor - listen to Getz/Gilberto.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts