Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a nice surprise. There was a late night Craigslist post this past weekend and I took a chance on an early 164 tenor with the early/minimal engraving from before they started doing the entire bell. I'm a bit surprised at how nicely this tenor "Rings" along with a sweet focused projection. I know that these were handcrafted, which may cause some variability between individuals, but this 822001 is mighty fun to play and is more focused than it is spread, which I like a lot. There's a very impressive sonic character with a metal FL Link and a hard rubber Phil-Tone mouthpiece.
The altissimo range is excellent, but it's the mid-range that really strikes me as superb and amazing. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Man! I've been waiting for one of these to pop up locally for ages. I know this is a long shot, BUT.....if at some point you are not into the horn anymore, send me a PM.

later,

JOel

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man! I've been waiting for one of these to pop up locally for ages. I know this is a long shot, BUT.....if at some point you are not into the horn anymore, send me a PM.

later,

JOel
Sorry Joel,
I'm actually looking for another USA 164 myself. We rarely get these passing through the studio where I work, but I was lucky enough to do a "horse trade" with a player making a recording that day. I never understood why Selmer USA gets so much grief, given that many of the men and women who worked at Selmer USA, Elkhart IN were the same hands that assembled and engraved the Selmer Paris horns. My guess is that the Elkhart staff knew Paris horns inside/out and sideways, so the 164 is a heck of a tenor in my book. I can't speak for the 162 alto but am guessing that they are also killers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Word! It’s all good.

We gotta hang out some time and jam. I’ll bring custom T992 to the mix.

Later

JOel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts