Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,335 Posts
I grew up on Rico reeds and eventually gravitated to the Royals way back when. But once D'Addario bought them and their entire reed stock went to hell... I had to move on. Went through multiple brands before settling on Vandoren Java Greens; and have stuck with them for years now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do you still like the Gonzales? I used to love them, the non-627 variety. But a while back the company was sold, after which they got rid of the quarter strengths and the packaging changed. After that it seemed the quality of the reeds went downhill.
I used to like the old Zondas made by Gonzalez but they changed. Recently I switched mouthpieces and the Gonzalez RC sitting in the drawer surprised me - played the best out of all my reeds. They played like a plank on my old mpc. I'm only 2 reeds into the box but sure like em at the moment

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is funny! I've been playing on Vandoren Java Reds - My favourite Vandoren, I've tried most of them.
I decided I want to switch to Jazz Selects and give them a try:) I've heard from numerous people there preferred over the Java Reds. More focus, slightly brighter.

I was also told Rigotti Golds are fantastic. I'll try them one day, but there hard to find here - Amazon doesn't ship them via prime either so there expensive! Is there something in particular that you don't like about the Jazz Selects? Are you looking for a different kind of sound, I.E more spread?

The only reason I'm switching from the Reds is because I'd like a more focused sound - My sound is naturally dark and spread, I want more focus!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Since you are in Barcelona, you should have no problem getting Medir reeds. They replaced my Javas, Jazz select etc. on alto and tenor.

www.medir.cat

·
Registered
7,073 Posts
Well, probably no one wants to hear this, but I'm going to put in my vote for just staying with the same thing for years on end.

In my case I've been playing regular old Vandoren #3 on everything except baritone for at least 20 years. I know exactly how they respond, my embouchure is totally trained to these reeds, I know where they want some adjusting, etc., etc. All the time I would spend thinking about, testing, etc., etc., different reeds, is available to me for other purposes.

On baritone (my primary instrument) I play out of the same 20+ boxes of La Voz med. hard reeds a friend gave me some 20+ years ago. Again, I know everything about those reeds. They're a little less consistent reed to reed than the Vandorens, but I know how to adjust them.

There used to be a saying "beware of the guy with only one gun, because he probably knows how to use it."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,335 Posts
Well, probably no one wants to hear this, but I'm going to put in my vote for just staying with the same thing for years on end.
Hey, I'm with you on that in theory. But the truth is that once d'Addario bought Rico, their reeds went to hell. Eventually though, I found Vandoren reeds; and also favor their 3 reeds on all horns.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts