Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with D'addario select jazz for some time and I feel great playing them but I would like to try other reeds.

Any recommendation?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
Rigotti Jazz or their other brand Queen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Stick with the reed you like. You can spend money trying others but most likely you'll come back to what you've been using. It may get to the point in the future that you will begin to dislike your reeds, and that is the time to try others.

·
3,587 Posts
I used to play them back when they were still Rico Jazz Select and then for a short while after the change to D'addario. I get slightly better results with Vandoren Java Red (a bit more consistent in my experience and I like the sound a little more). Similar sort of reed, though. I'm a big fan of the ZZ reeds, but they don't last very long.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Been a while since i switched from select jazz to java green and red and i don't look back. (For me) fuller sound and better projection. Made the switch for alto and tenor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stick with the reed you like. You can spend money trying others but most likely you'll come back to what you've been using. It may get to the point in the future that you will begin to dislike your reeds, and that is the time to try others.
I like to switch from time to time

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been a while since i switched from select jazz to java green and red and i don't look back. (For me) fuller sound and better projection. Made the switch for alto and tenor.
Yes! I've been playing java greens for a long time but I was playing with hard reeds (about 5) and their sound become a little bit dry in some range... I've move to d'addario and this problem has dissapear at least in high numbers...

·
8,275 Posts
Nothing wrong with switching as long as you make sure of the reed before going out to play somewhere. They can give you some nasty surprises at bad times. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes... I know exactly what you mean... I've had bad experiences after flying somewhere with my reeds... It's about the humidity maybe?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,673 Posts
If you haven't tried them, definitely give the Rigotti Gold reeds a try. I've had various favorites over the years (V16 for the longest time), but once I tried the Rigotti reeds that was it. Every now and then I pull out a couple of my left over V16s and then go right back to the Rigottis (I use the 3 light mostly, but also the 2.5 strong works well).

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I've been playing with D'addario select jazz for some time and I feel great playing them but I would like to try other reeds.

Any recommendation?
Either stick with what works for you, or else try as many as you can and make you own decision based on what you hear (with your ears). It won't be very helpful asking for recommendations - it's what you get on with that counts. Especially don't ask an endorser like me, because I will just say Lupifaro or Legere Signature. Oh wait, I might also say Rico Brown box but you can't get them any more.

·
13,536 Posts
Customers often ask what I suggest on my pieces. After nearly fifteen years of making and refacing mouthpieces I have learned that whatever I suggest will be wrong for at least 50 to 70 percent of players. I will tell them what I like but I also suggest they try differnt reeds since any well made piece will accomidate any properly constructed reed.

Reeds are like boxers and briefs. Its a personal decision based on subjective experience. Unless, of course, you are going commando. If thats the case I dont wanna know!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,673 Posts
Either stick with what works for you, or else try as many as you can and make you own decision based on what you hear (with your ears). It won't be very helpful asking for recommendations - it's what you get on with that counts.
This is so very true (and not just with regard to reeds)! All anyone can do is tell you what works for them, and it's no secret there are as many different opinions as their are choices. You gotta do the experimenting yourself to figure out what works for you.

I have no problem saying what I think is a great reed (or horn or mpc, etc) but it's always with the caveat that others will have a different experience and take on it.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts