Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

just thought I'd let the SOTW community know about a recording I made in Rio de Janeiro in 2010. It's finally finished, and I'd love to get feedback from a knowledgable group of people. Also, I feel really good about the results (especially considering budgetary/logistical constraints), so I'm looking for any way I can to get this music out to people.

You can hear a sample track in its entirety on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZuu1RYoy3I

and fragments of each piece at
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lukashein

where incidentally the recording can also be acquired.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to check it out!

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Very unique tone that's all your own and very suited to the Bossa Nova sound. Not at all like Getz but much more in the vein of Cannonball + bass flute, soft, warm and articulate.

Hopefully this catches on as it's not only good but very different.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
Very unique tone that's all your own and very suited to the Bossa Nova sound. Not at all like Getz but much more in the vein of Cannonball + bass flute, soft, warm and articulate.
I honestly don't see where you're hearing Cannonball here, but hey, to each his own. I personally also thought that it was much closer to Getz, although definitely more airy.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
I honestly don't see where you're hearing Cannonball here, but hey, to each his own. I personally also thought that it was much closer to Getz, although definitely more airy.
Strictly speaking about tone, NOT technique and certainly not about the genera. Tone in the upper octave is very Cannonball. It has that sweetness that was so good to listen to. The timbre, especially of the lower notes has a bass flute quality. But, more or less as you say, we all have different ears.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Strictly speaking about tone, NOT technique and certainly not about the genera. Tone in the upper octave is very Cannonball. It has that sweetness that was so good to listen to. The timbre, especially of the lower notes has a bass flute quality. But, more or less as you say, we all have different ears.

The middle B sounds like Rollins to me... so... :twisted:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Listened to Samba De Mais Notas. Really enjoyed the music. Like a warm breeze off the ocean.

There's a ton of Brazilian influenced jazz out there, and it's easy to approach samba/bossa nova in a hackneyed or cliched manner. Not the case with your music, the rhythm section is nice and tight and not too busy. Your playing is very melodic and laid back, fitting the style quite nicely. Lovely. Nice soloing too by the bassist and piano. The only thing I didn't love was how it ended somewhat abruptly. Maybe a little coda on the end would be nice...

I won't get into sound comparisons, but will add that Cannonball recorded a terrific bossa album and altoists Bud Shank and Phil Woods could certainly hold their own as very fluent players in the samba style. So there's certainly varied ways to approach the music from a saxophone or woodwind perspective. I've been a huge fan of Brazilian music for a long time and love to play in those styles.

There's just something seductive about sambas, acoustic guitars, woodwinds, and percussion...very sensual kind of music.

ps Looks like you have some other YT playing clips, I'll have to check those out.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts