Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get my head around the sound that I'm chasing on the soprano... it's my only sax, so I haven't anything to compare it to. None of the great soprano players I've been listening to are quite 'it'... then tonight I listened again to Ornette Coleman's 'The Shape of Jazz to Come', and realized that was it; what he gets at the top end of the Grafton alto is what I want to find on the Soprano!

...so now I've just got to figure out how to do it :yikes!:

·
Registered
350 Posts
maybe wait for vibratosax to make a plastic soprano...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
Maybe I can save you some money. Have you ever stood before a mirror and thought "With just a little work I could look like Johnny Depp." Of course not. Your looks are your own and you can't change them very much. The same is true of your soprano sax sound. Take what sound you get as you develop and work on you intonation (so people will want to listen to you) and get the fingering down for various licks. Can you start on a low note? Start on a particular high note? Play low to high and high to low? Work on all the stuff you have to to play the horn. You'll find - some day - you have a pretty good sound. Change your mouthpiece once or twice a year, your reed type and strength until you find what you really like to play and try a new lig now and then. Have fun. Don't chase a particular sound too much. We all do a little but don't fixate on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tom, thanks, for the comments. I'm not looking for more gear, it's more that, if there's a sound in you head, maybe only loosely, you start to shape your sound towards that. Maybe over a couple of years, but things start to move in that direction. At least that's been my experience with other instruments. The right reed, mpc etc will, I hope, become clear as time goes by...

... oh, and the Grafton bit was a joke, really ;-)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
It's ok to search for the sound that you hear from another player.

That's how we all start playing sax. We hear a sound and try to emulate that sound. Perfectly natural.

We are not going to sound like the player we are emulating anyway.

We will always have our own sound.

I guess there are exceptions to this rule when it comes to Sonny Stitt sounding a lot like Bird.

Of course almost everyone was trying to sound like Bird at one point or another.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts