Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some disappointment I got from the Samson Airline 77 HM40 wireless system (thread here), I seriously consider to buy the almost 3 times more expensive AMT Wi5 system.

How do the 2 systems compete each other in terms of sound quality. Are there any direct comparison reviews between the 2 available.? Does the AMT Wi5 System worth its money?

Thanks so much for helping me out.
T.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Read this thread;
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...Shure-PGX-Beta-98&highlight=SAMSON+AIRLINE+77

There have got to be thousands of players using the old and new "77" systems with no problems at all. From your threads, posts and emails All I can imagine is you either have a defective unit or it's user problems in set up and/or with the rest of the system you are using it with.

Have you had a knowledgeable "sound tech" check out the way you are trying to run it?

As stated in other posts I have two older Samson 77 wireless units and they have worked excellently for years. I also have the AMT Wi5 which also works fine but I do not like it's "big honk'en" bell clip and post rod and since there is little dicernable sound difference for live performances/concerts with a sound tech tuning the amplified sound I normally use one of the Samson units.

Before you jump into purchasing another unit of any brand be sure yours is actually bad or not operating properly.

JR

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have the Samson 77 two antenna system with the AMT mic. I have found that the volume needs to be turned almost to the max on the receiver as is recommended in the manual. This will produce the strongest signal to the amp. For the squelch adjustment turn it all the way off. Now take out the batteries out on your transmitter when using the system and you will probably hear a lot of static noise. Turn the squelch up slowly until this is gone. Now walk around the full area you will be playing in to make sure there is no noise. If the squelch is set too high this will restrict the strength of the signal.

This is the best way to set these up. You can do the squelch adjustment at each venue if you need to but I have never had to change mine. I had an issue once with a weak signal and my volume knob had turned down inadvertantly.

I have had numerous sound techs compliment the sound quality from the AMT mic and there are a least a couple of guys who have recorded with this mic. They seem to really like it. My personal preference for equalization is to take a little off the highs and add a little midrange for the best sax sound possible for me.

When I played the Samson mic I had an issue with with the sound quality. Without any effects it was not nearly as good as the AMT. The AMT sounds good dry, not so with the Samson. Also I had an issue with keynoise transmitting thru the Samson's clip. Sounded very percussive to me. The AMT's suspension ring removes all key noise for me.

When the suspension O-ring finally failed on my clip on unit, I found a standard replacement O-ring at the hardware store for $.38 !

Some of us spend a lot of money on horns, mouthpieces, ligs, necks, etc. to get the best sound possible, why skimp on the mic?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you RandyJ and saxxsymbol for sharing your experience with me.

RandyJ, I haven't been professionally into the sound tech business but through the years I immersed my self in synthesizers and other microelectronics, I think the sense around sound electronics is quite developed in me. High gain high Noise, Low Output, Distortion, Unity Gain etc. are physical dimensions that I lived with......

Dear saxxsymbol, thanks for posting here. I have seen your other thread where you mention about turning levels to the maximuum in order to keep a healthy output signal and avoid turning up the gain on the mixing console. Not only the main volume you need to turn up. In my case I had to turn the switch at the rear of the receiver to the "LINE"(STRONG) output even if you connect the XLR cable to a pre-amped mic input on the mixing console. I also turned the volume using the included plastic screwdriver from within the transmitter to the MAX.

So my friends, even with all the above procedures the Meter could not reach the 0 (unity gain) indication. I got 2 divergent official answers.

One answer was this:
In that case, it does indeed sound as though there may be a problem with either the mic or the transmitter. Please contact ??shop?? and they will be able to arrange a return for the system.
The Second Answer was this:
The LED's don't always accurately represent the signal coming through since there are only so many lights, and it's best to use your ears in this situation. If you're signal was coming through cleanly and at a strong signal, you should be in good shape. "0" represents unity gain, and you shouldn't be reaching a higher level, as you could distort the sound. You can increase the gain on the transmitter by using the supplied plastic screwdriver, and adjusting the control within the battery compartment. Also make sure you have the audio level control on the receiver up as well.
A last general comparison.
A sales manager gave me the following comparison between the 2 systems but didn't tell me how much better is the AMT system.
Concerning the Samson Airline system, these are actually very well made units- good sound quality (we found they sound best with the lower frequencies slightly reduced on the desk but overall they work extremely well- in a play off between it and an AMT or DPA the higher quality mic is certainly better but for gigging purposes the Samsung system is fine, they're nicely resistant to feedback too).
Thanks for your feedback guys.
Thanasis.

---

·
Registered
684 Posts
I owned a Roam 1 Elite that I purchased from WWBW it was B stock and it always fed back no matter how far away from the monitors I stood or how I adjusted the gain so I returned it because it had to have been defective. Later purchased the AMT Wi5 and it is superb in every sense. Of course if you stand right on top the monitor it'll feed back. I have never tried a Samson Airline but I couldn't be happier with the AMT.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
I think that there's some confusion here. A wireless system has three parts.

The mic element
The transmitter
The receiver

The AMT system shown above is, I believe, a Samson airline 77 transmitter and receiver that uses the AMT mount and element.
The AH 40 is a Samson Airline 77 transmitter and receiver and uses an audio technica mic element with a similar mounting system.

In my opinion, the best sounding mic element for saxophone that can be used in a wireless system is the DPA 4099. But--it is not offered in a package where you can have a transmitter/mic clip as a unit. You have to get a transmitter in the form of a belt pack, and plug the mic element into that. A belt pack can be mounted to the bell--but it is not as convenient.

However, if you're willing to go with the inconvenience of the belt pack, you can get any number of fine, frequency agile systems from sennheiser, shure, or sony.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi hakukani.

You are talking about Roam Elite which came with Samson receiver indeed.

But the AMT Wi5 it comes with an AMT 16 channels receiver.

Furthermore, there is another even more expensive model. The AMT Wi5C wireless transmitter and receiver which is the following:

I would definitely avoid belt pack or wired on a live performance.

--

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
Ah, I see. I looked at the pic, and not the words.

The AMT WI5 receiver looks to be really nice. I like frequency agile receivers, especially in areas where there may be interference from other wireless systems.

I play both wireless and wired. If it's a jazz gig I usually go wired. It's much easier, IMO. I have a 'stomp' mute switch that I use when I have to check a pad or a reed and don't want the mic on.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sounds like you have the squelch control turned to the max. this would reduce the signal strength. The screw driver adjustment I believe, is the squelch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,099 Posts
Yeah. I was really psyched to play without the belt-pack which is why I bought the Airline. Of course you know that didn't turn out too well. The replacement has already arrived at my home though. Until I get back it's my trusty Shure PGX14/Beta 98 for me. Two nights ago I dropped the belt pack and it hit the floor so hard the batteries flew out. Of course I had a spare pair on my amp so no worries. Those suckers are tough.

Both wired and belt-pack are great though. They just don't have the "cool" factor of an all-in-one.

In the 80's (my first go-round), I dropped a '57 in a sock and taped it inside the bell. It was very functional.
On a 50' mic cable you're as mobile as you need in most rooms.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Fader. When you go home and test the new Airline, please post straight away.

Waiting to see how your experience with this thing goes.

Take care

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you have the squelch control turned to the max. this would reduce the signal strength. The screw driver adjustment I believe, is the squelch.
There is a hole on the Transmitter when you open up the battery compartment, not the Receiver. You stick the plastic screwdriver there and you adjust the gain trimmer.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I literally got the Wi5 delivered yesterday, to replace my Roam 1 Elite. I replaced it only because of the recent 700 MHz ban. Gotta keep it legal. I also like having 16 channels, although in my years of using the R1E, only 1 problem occurred. The only issue I can see happening with the Wi5 is the channel selector on the transmitter. It's REALLY small and the mic is in the way. If anyone has an easy way to handle this, please let me know.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi David, Have you used the Samson Airline mate? A direct comparison from someone who used both mics would be cool.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Roam 1 Elite has the same capsule as the new AMT Wi5. The only difference is on the 16 channels and frequency changes.

Does AMT Wi5 worth its price difference over a working SAMSON Airline 77?

I think it would be too good to be true to get a solid answer. In the lack of an answer I incline towards the AMT Wi5 system.

Thanks in advance.
Th

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi David, Have you used the Samson Airline mate? A direct comparison from someone who used both mics would be cool.
No, I have not used the Samson, and even the Wi5 won't be played into a system until tomorrow's gig. I did really like the R1E, though.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts