Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of the FCC regulation thing, I traded in my old Roam 1 Elite to get the AMT wi5 Pro and I must say, I’m VERY disappointed with it. Plug the mic in hardwired, it sounds BEAUTIFUL! However, as soon as you try to use the wi5 transmitter that all goes away. The transmitter has absolutely NO range (I only have to walk about 5 feet away before the signal breaks up no matter what I do with the squech) and makes the mic distort and sound like you’re playing into a tin can. For $800 this simply should not be the case. I guess a solution would be to use a shure or seinhisser wireless system with it, but then I’d have to deal with a belt pack. After having used the ROAM 1 Elite for about 3 years, I simply do not and should not have to do that. After all, they claim that this system is the replacement to the now obsolete ROAM 1, so to me, it should at least work the same. I went back and forth with them for the past month, having three of these sent to me with them all having the same problems with the wi5 system. I’ve come to believe that though AMT can make a great sounding mic, they should have stuck with using Samson to handle the wireless system instead of trying to do it themselves. I’m very disappointed because the ROAM 1 Elite was such a great mic. That was using the Samson system which after my experience I now believe was the better way to go.

Please, if you decide to get this mic, I’d like to recommend skipping the wi5 thing and using the mic either hardwired or using a shure or sennheiser wireless system with it. For me, I want a mic like the ROAM 1 Eilte that has the transmitter on the mic. So I’m going back to using the good old trusty Samson Airline system, until AMT figures this all out. Actually, after I send this system back to AMT and they send me back my original ROAM 1 Elite (they said that they still have it) I might try to spice the new Samson Transmitter to it and get it to work that way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
421 Posts
Anyone else with a similar experience with the AMT WI-5? Or perhaps non-similar experience? I've been looking to upgrade and freeing myself of a belt pack would be great, , but if there are problems, I'd just as soon go another route.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,345 Posts
That is disappointing. I love my Roam 1 Elite, and was seriously perturbed when the government took away the frequency. I haven't been able to justify the price of the new WI-5, and have been using my old AKG VHF rig, but I really hate the belt pack and trailing wire that snags on everything.

I would also be interested to hear if others are having this problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been using a Wi-5 for a few months now and it has been working flawlessly. I recently got the new rack mount kit that front mounts the attenaes (sp?). It has a rf booster to compensate for the cable run and has performed rock solidly.

The only problem I have had is I tried it on flute for a gig. The weight of the unit, while comfortable most of the time, caused the flute to slip everytime I played a c#.

·
421 Posts
Giles, thanks for your reply:

...I recently got the new rack mount kit that front mounts the attenaes (sp?). It has a rf booster to compensate for the cable run and has performed rock solidly.
Any details , model or specs on this? Is it necessary?

·
Registered
93 Posts
@groovesax: Not necessary, but I have a rack with my wireless receiver and in-ear transmitter. I am a firm believer of having everything in a case. I don't think therack kit is up on their website yet. I called AMT and they shipped me one the same day. They had just gotten a new design in, so I was the first to get the rack ears that allows front mounting of the attenaes. If you are going to rack mount the receiver, then the kit is an absolute must!

·
421 Posts
I bought the wi5 and used it on a gig this weekend. The sound quality was certainly a hugh improvement over my old setup. It never really dawned on me before how much a good mic can do for my sound on the bandstand Also nice not to be bound to a belt pack So far, seems like a good investment

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had this mic for a while without issue. If you are having interference problems try turning up the squelch. I have gone quite far from the receiver and never had a dropout.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have been using the Wi5 pro set up for over a year.. all over the world.. not a single problem due to the equipment.. a couple of times i accidentally lowered the volume on the receiver and forgot to turn it back up, so i had the sound men going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong, but besides that, flawless , beautiful tone. i found that the microphone sound practically identical wireless or wired. it is a great learning aid to go out and hear yourself in the house. makes you change the way you play in a very positive way.. definitely a step up from a Shure 98. I found that with the Shure we had to do a quite a bit of eqing to get it to sound more natural.. the AMT sounds good in most systems perfectly flat, sometimes we roll back the low mids (around 250-500hz) a drop to eliminate the fog horn effect on the low Bb. There is more fidelity in the sound with te AMT. Sounds a lot more like a natural saxophone sound. The Shure is honkier and more one dimensional. Of course nothing beats a good regular mike ( RE 20 or Sennheiser 441 ) but it beats a shure 57 or 58.. also not having to deal with a body pack worth the price difference alone.. all the best, SOTW Bob Franceschini

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.
I'm the italian AMT endorser. I had the same lack. The problem is on frequencies.
I used my AMT WI-5 Pro with a Sennheiser in-ear monitor and I had this problem. But when I tried to switch off the in-ear than it worked perfectly.
We checked the frequencies and they are very close:
The Sennheiser freq are: 518-580
The AMT are: 540-570
Too much close!
As endorser, i will substitute the receiver/transmitter to have more distant freq.
So, my suggestion is to check which frequencies you usually use (Voice wireless Mics, in-ear system etc) and ask for distant freq.
By the way, the capsule of the mic is FABULOUS! I still have an old AMT mic for saxophone 'til 6 years but this one is amazing.
Hope I helped you...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have used a Wi-5 for a little over a year, with no issues. It has much truer sound reproduction than the Samson Airline I used previously. I've been up to 70 or so feet away from the receiver with no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts