Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Fisher Integrated stereo amp, the model isn't labeled on it though. It has 5 stereo rca inputs, for corresponding channels selectable on the front panel. On the rear, there are 8 outputs for speaker wire; for 4 speakers; 2 for set A, 2 for set B. On the front panel, there's a 1/4" headphone out port.

I was wondering if it's at all possible to connect more speakers?

EDIT: I was thinking I could maybe plug something like this into the headphone out port and use a 3.5mm splitter for each speaker I want to add; hoping that the wire carries enough power.
http://www.westcoastmall.net/spw10px-speaker-wire-with-35mm-plug-pi-5010.html

Thank you

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Headphone outs are poor drivers for loudspeakers.

So you have four speakers, and you want to connect 8?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
How many speakers to you want to connect? Do you intend to use them all at once?
Depending on power of amp, speaker impedance, length of cable, how much volume you need at each speaker (stereo pair) you may be able to add more speakers.

But Don't put any money into this amp though. You can purchase cheap powered speakers that may to the trick better. Or get another stereo amp they are all over at give away prices in second hand stores

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yes, as said, forget the headphone-out to power speakers.

You can add a simple "Y" connector to each of the speaker out ports. Then the problem becomes an impedance issue. If it was made for 8-ohm speaker use, which it likely was, you can double the speakers, as long as they are 16-ohm speakers. Since it's an old piece of equipment and probably not worth much, I would take a chance and just go with another 8-ohm speaker and keep my fingers crossed. If you use thinner wire, that will create some resistance, and bring up the impedance also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
how old is it, is it tube or solid state?

if its a tube one, they usually have multiple impedance settings, 4, 8, and 16...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
I have an old Fisher Integrated stereo amp, the model isn't labeled on it though. It has 5 stereo rca inputs, for corresponding channels selectable on the front panel. On the rear, there are 8 outputs for speaker wire; for 4 speakers; 2 for set A, 2 for set B. On the front panel, there's a 1/4" headphone out port.

I was wondering if it's at all possible to connect more speakers?
Why do you need more speakers? Trying to feed other rooms?

What are the markings on the rear panel? Does it comment regarding speaker impedance?

If it has a line out, you might use that to drive a slave amp for more speakers.

If you put up pictures, someone might be able to identify the amp and, more importantly, its power output. Stereo amps don't sound very good if you drive them into distortion from using too great a load.

If you just want to add music to another room, I'd suggest getting another system. I use separate systems in each room rather than piping music throughout the house.

If you think that adding speakers will make it louder, that's not the way to go - more efficient speakers may help.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well this thing is about 30 years old now; my father had it since he came to America.
And yes, I was looking to have it set up to more rooms. Is there any modern system with a line in and rca input that will allow me to spread my music throughout 4 rooms, with at least 2 speakers per room?

Thank you

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
Yeah, it kinda matters what you want to do. Why do you want to connect more speakers?

On a different note (a Bb, I believe) there are people who collect these old amps and other vintage electronic gear -- just like people who collect horns. :D You might consider selling the Fisher and getting something that works better for whatever your purpose is.

Edit: you answered the question. Even more reason to consider my suggestion. There are people here who are much more knowledgeable than I about what kind of system to get.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Well this thing is about 30 years old now; my father had it since he came to America.
And yes, I was looking to have it set up to more rooms. Is there any modern system with a line in and rca input that will allow me to spread my music throughout 4 rooms, with at least 2 speakers per room?
Many... Time to visit the local stereo shop...

The good news is that you can get a lot more amplifier performance for the $$$ these days. The bad news is trying to decide what speakers to run. Bring along a few of your favorite CDs to trial on speakers - regardless of what they might say, I hear a lot of color and variation in spacial placement between various speakers.

I used to run ESS AMT1 "Bookshelf" speakers but now have a set of Bowers & Wilkins 805 in my main space.

Is your home already wired for the system you propose? If not, you could buy four used NAD (or similar) 30W amps for the price of one central system with sufficient power and switching.

Too many choices, really, to start running down here.

Road trip to the stereo shop!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
The dr is right. Options galore - including wireless transmitters and powered speakers that initially get the signal from the headphone out of your vintage amp.

My experience is that these are not the highest fidelity but they're not bad...

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
For feeding that many rooms, you might want to look into a 70v system.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Another thought is adding an L-pad for each set of speakers you want, all fed from one output on the receiver. Each room volume can be controlled individually. This will require some soldering, and mounting them in a project box would be nice. Here is an example, but you might be able to find them even cheaper. Radio Shack has them in stock also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/L-Pad-LPAD-Spea...431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439ff6d097

1 - 13 of 13 Posts