Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently ended up being booked on a couple of gigs as a solo sax player, playing standards with backing tracks. This was something I always resisting the idea of in the past, but I've come to the conclusion that they may be worth doing since they can be decent earners and musically might not necessarily be the worst thing in the world (and they seem to be relatively easy to come by compared to trio or quartet gigs).

Anyway, my question is relating to gear. For the gigs I'm booked on I've been told there's a PA available, but if I'm going to do more of these gigs in future it seems like it might be worth having my own set up so that I'm not restricted to playing in venues with PAs.

Does anyone do backing track gigs with your own setup? What kind of amp or speaker do you use for the backing tracks?

Something like this maybe?: https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Mackie-SRM150-Compact-PA-System-Single/8GK It would be nice to be able to amplify the sax with a clip on mic as well as the backing track.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
So I recently ended up being booked on a couple of gigs as a solo sax player, playing standards with backing tracks. This was something I always resisting the idea of in the past, but I've come to the conclusion that they may be worth doing since they can be decent earners and musically might not necessarily be the worst thing in the world (and they seem to be relatively easy to come by compared to trio or quartet gigs).

Anyway, my question is relating to gear. For the gigs I'm booked on I've been told there's a PA available, but if I'm going to do more of these gigs in future it seems like it might be worth having my own set up so that I'm not restricted to playing in venues with PAs.

Does anyone do backing track gigs with your own setup? What kind of amp or speaker do you use for the backing tracks?

Something like this maybe?: https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Mackie-SRM150-Compact-PA-System-Single/8GK It would be nice to be able to amplify the sax with a clip on mic as well as the backing track.
I've got one. You can find them much cheaper btw. They are ok for a monitor, but I prefer at least an 8" speaker for a monitor. They won't work for a PA, just too weak and no mid-low end beyond 5 feet, predictably. There are some combos that will work for a small venue in that price range, especially used equipment. A keyboard amp is a good general purpose format. Folks are using powered speakers now including DJs, and they are in that price range. Look for a low impedance input for a mic, as well as input options for your backing tracks.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I recently picked up a used TC Helicon Voicesolo FX-150 as a personal monitor. It's a class D amp with a 6.5" speaker. Can't say whether it's loud enough for your purposes, but it has XLR or 1/4" in and thru, and has some nice reverb effects to boot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
I was lucky to find a Bose L1 used locally with the match system for like $800 a few years ago. If you can do the same, you should too. Keep an eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, they come up for sale fairly often.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I think second hand is probably a good way to go - I'll check out ebay and facebook marketplace.

The Bose L1 would be great, but it might be hard to justify spending that much. I'll keep an eye out though.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,474 Posts
I did the solo thing for 12 years before growing tired and missing the interaction of other players although I play a lot less now because of that change. I recommend a Class D amplified speaker. I bought a pair of Electro-Voice ZLX-12P 5 years ago and they are not too heavy but give you great clarity and a fair amount of bottom end. Make sure to purchase an EV cover that fits.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I recently bought a JBL Eon One, which should be great for your purpose. I chose it over the Bose L1 and Maui 5 because I got it for a good price and it had more oomph. It has bluetooth for easy backing tracks and a ( a bit long) reverb. I'll propably use it with a little mixer, so I'll have phantom power for clip mic and a bit more options for reverb and sound. I like too, that the upper stacks are stored in the box itself. It's bigger than the Maui or Bose because it has a 10'' speaker but it's not too heavy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
WHARFEDALE PRO TITAN 12D or Wharfedale Titan 12 Active Pro (model 15 is harder and more expensive),
both active, relatively light and mobile (model 12D was lightest and more expensive, model 12 was about £275 new, 12D £325 new - some years ago).
Mixer Alesis MultiMix 4 USB FX - compact and very good price, in my opinion it has everything you need.
It work for the abovementioned purposes.
Yes, the equipment sometimes available on the second-hand market.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I simply plug my Android phone, running Amazing Slow Downer with backing tracks, into a Roland Street Cube. Rough and ready, but very portable, and great sound. The amp can even run on batteries. I normally don't use a mic, but it's easy to plug one in, obviously.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
When I street performed (acoustic guitar miked+ vocals) I used a Crate Limo amp. Check it out. I used it for indoor venues, too. Plenty of power and lasts a good 4 hrs plus on the rechargeable battery.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have an Ion Audio Block Rocker Max that works fine. I have been toying with the idea of getting a couple of stand mount speakers but I can't justify spending the bucks on a QSC, EV, Yamaha, etc. Does anyone have any experience with the Behringer active speakers? The price is good if the sound is ok.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have an Ion Audio Block Rocker Max that works fine. I have been toying with the idea of getting a couple of stand-mount speakers but I can't justify spending the bucks on a QSC, EV, Yamaha, etc. Does anyone have any experience with the Behringer active speakers? The price is good if the sound is ok.

I use the original wooden box Ion Tailgater for practicing vocals and it's just awesome. If twenty people are drinking alcohol, the Bose L1 Compact will not deliver. The Bose Compact also does not have enough bass to adequately amplify a saxophone voice, but it is lovely for vocals. I currently use the Compact as a floor monitor (without tower).
The Behringer B115 1000W has plenty of damn power and bass for projecting a nice saxophone voice (it's better than Bose Compact for amplifying the saxophone). I recently gifted the B115 to my little brother and I already miss it.
I also own a pair of F1's with the Sub, so I'm ready for all of my Christmas parties...

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
I simply plug my Android phone, running Amazing Slow Downer with backing tracks, into a Roland Street Cube. Rough and ready, but very portable, and great sound. The amp can even run on batteries. I normally don't use a mic, but it's easy to plug one in, obviously.

Cheers,

Chris
I also have a Roland Cube (but it's not battery powered).

I've also used JBL Eons and the similar Mackie speakers.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have an Ion Audio Block Rocker Max that works fine. I have been toying with the idea of getting a couple of stand mount speakers but I can't justify spending the bucks on a QSC, EV, Yamaha, etc. Does anyone have any experience with the Behringer active speakers? The price is good if the sound is ok.
The Crate Limo I mentioned is available with a speaker stand, and I can assure you the sound level and quality are quite excellent. There are also built in reverb and delay features. It had enough power to overcome the ambient noise level of downtown Boston, in the busiest shopping district in town. And believe me, that's saying something!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I’ve revamped my setup. 98% of the time I play through my wireless directly to a Mackie Freeplay Live. It accepts 1/4 or XLR.
It is battery or AC powered and you can play backing tracks from your iPad/iPhone/Android via Bluetooth and has rudimentary effects/eq.

If that isn’t loud enough I have a QSC8 powered speaker with 1,000 watts of Class D power. Total overkill but gets the job done!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have an Ion Audio Block Rocker Max that works fine. I have been toying with the idea of getting a couple of stand-mount speakers but I can't justify spending the bucks on a QSC, EV, Yamaha, etc. Does anyone have any experience with the Behringer active speakers? The price is good if the sound is ok.

I use the original wooden box Ion Tailgater for practicing vocals and it's just awesome. If twenty people are drinking alcohol, the Bose L1 Compact will not deliver. The Bose Compact also does not have enough bass to adequately amplify a saxophone voice, but it is lovely for vocals. I currently use the Compact as a floor monitor (without tower).
The Behringer B115 1000W has plenty of damn power and bass for projecting a nice saxophone voice (it's better than Bose Compact for amplifying the saxophone). I recently gifted the B115 to my little brother and I already miss it.
I also own a pair of F1's with the Sub, so I'm ready for all of my Christmas parties...
Thanks for the info. I really want to hear tbe Behringer speakers. I have a Behringer mixer that's great. I like Bose pro stuff but it's way over my budget. The L1 Series II with the bigger sub sounds great.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The Crate Limo I mentioned is available with a speaker stand, and I can assure you the sound level and quality are quite excellent. There are also built in reverb and delay features. It had enough power to overcome the ambient noise level of downtown Boston, in the busiest shopping district in town. And believe me, that's saying something!
Thanks for the info. I was actually looking at those a few years ago when I got my Ion Audio speaker. They were discontinued a while back but you can still find them used occasionally.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts