Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming this is a Chinese made Amazon brand but I could not find much on the web about it. Wondering if anybody has experience with the brand. The Amazon reviews look ok and this youtube video and another got my attention https://youtu.be/m3tPErM0P6o https://youtu.be/H12JAVAT0Es I have G.A.S (Gear acquisition syndrome) so since I liked the looks and sound I took the plunge for $207 after discounts and promotion. Bought many a horn and never bought one without at least touching it first. I will know shortly if I purchased parts for my next lamp.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The better sax video kinda says it all.
I bought a curved soprano from eastern music and will buy a sopranino soon. As long as you understand expectations (these are disposable horns essentially, Vs overhaulable) then they fit the bill. May need mpc and reed combo you are not used to to dial in sound you are looking for a bit differently than your current set up, but since you are a gear head you should have options.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I found that Better Sax video to be pretty amazing. Of course, if you listen to it on computer "speakers" it means little as far as comparison,,,,but, still...well, jeez

A respected sax repair guy around here said this about all these very cheap horns: due to cheap materials and/or cheap workmanship, they will require 500 to 1000 dollars worth of work in a year or two. Stuff falling off, going "off", getting sloppy, True?... I don't know. I know this IS lumping them all into a single bucket. but I have heard that people will play a new cheap chinese horn for much more than a year without doing anything, after some initial tweaks.

oh boy....

I have to say that all this aside, do they feel good under your fingers? do they produce even response/tone up and down the horn? No "odd spots" in the range? No mechanisms that are odd? (I think good reverse engineering would take care of this...) Initially, I'm not thinking about durability, or pad quality, or looks. Just what does it do when you play it ? Does it respond well, sound and feel good? or does it somehow feel cheap in your hands?

Not to get side tracked with a very imperfect metaphor...but I bought a one owner, perfectly maintained 9 yr old used Audi a couple of years ago. It was love at first drive (first time owner) But time to look again as miles are getting up there...or at least see what's out there..

I've been shopping and will test drive a Mazda or Honda of Subaru....and as great as they are to own, they just don't feel/sound like a refined or precise machine. They ARE!! ...but they don't feel like it in your hands and body.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Zero intonation issues on my sop. A self-adjustment or the octave key and ive had zero issues.
You can see that the pads are soft, and the finish is ok near edges. Some signs of screw wear on the heads from their setup.
For me, I’m not a pro, and it’s not my main interest. Great to play and fiddle/experiment with. No regrets.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been shopping and will test drive a Mazda or Honda of Subaru....and as great as they are to own, they just don't feel/sound like a refined or precise machine. They ARE!! ...but they don't feel like it in your hands and body.
They are not, and they don't pretend to. Reliable is what they are and what they are famous for (I can speak for Honda.)

With musical instruments, what matters is the slightest differences in tone and handling, which does not improve proportional to the price, far from it. One can buy a Chinese-made saxophone half the price in this advertisement and find it really bad. A hundred bucks more and you get a big improvement. However, the next big improvement may come at many thousands of dollars and ought to be made in Japan or France or Germany.

The Japanese car makers create things to last, that's their vocation. The Germans make cars that handle beautifully, even if not as reliable. Chinese cars are hard to handle and will break in 1 year. One day, perhaps, that will change. We are not there yet, not by a long shot. Same goes for the saxophones.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it showed up about 8 hrs ahead of time. To maybe coin a new word, amazoningly fast. Only spent a few minutes so far and I have to break it in but I haven't found anything wrong with it. I am no expert. I did get the antique brass as I liked the P. Mauriet dark lacquer or vintage horns with the lacquer removed or worn off look. I was afraid that it would look phony but it was nicely done but still on the shiny side due to it's newness. Just played it with my mp and have to work on the cork to get the mp far enough in to check out the tuning. It definitely does not feel cheap and flimsy like most of the cheap student altos that i have tested in the past. Never had a new alto and have played a Buesher top hat and cain for years but sold that over 30 years ago. Switched to alto sax about a year ago and started with an old Hunter NY (Chinese) alto playing in a big band. Paid about $100 more than the Ammoon (after repairs) so if I had to do it again I would go with the Ammoon over a used student sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
If Gene Ammoons played one, I want it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
They are not, and they don't pretend to. Reliable is what they are and what they are famous for (I can speak for Honda.)

With musical instruments, what matters is the slightest differences in tone and handling, which does not improve proportional to the price, far from it. One can buy a Chinese-made saxophone half the price in this advertisement and find it really bad. A hundred bucks more and you get a big improvement. However, the next big improvement may come at many thousands of dollars and ought to be made in Japan or France or Germany.

The Japanese car makers create things to last, that's their vocation. The Germans make cars that handle beautifully, even if not as reliable. Chinese cars are hard to handle and will break in 1 year. One day, perhaps, that will change. We are not there yet, not by a long shot. Same goes for the saxophones.
In fact, they are refined and precise from an engineering perspective. If they were not precise, they would not last and last as they do (and out last most German cars I would bet) They just don't translate into sensory or experience for the operator. . That is my point. they ARE precise but they don't care about precision in the same areas as a German or Swedish/ European car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Zero intonation issues on my sop. A self-adjustment or the octave key and ive had zero issues.
You can see that the pads are soft, and the finish is ok near edges. Some signs of screw wear on the heads from their setup.
For me, I’m not a pro, and it’s not my main interest. Great to play and fiddle/experiment with. No regrets.
Straight or curved?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found that Ammoon LADE offers metal mps for less than $40 so i am testing a 7 out. Love it so far. Friend lent me a Theo Wanne DURGA 3 with an 8 opening which I liked but when I looked up the price I quickly got it back to him. My mp search is now over and I got LADE twice now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noticed the price went up twice since I purchased mine for $207, after discount and incentive. It is now up to $320 on Amazon. The antique brass LADE was on ebay when I bought mine but I can't find it now. There are other LADEs offered but I don't know if they are the same. I did have to work on the cork to get the Ammooon LADE metal mp to fit far enough in for proper tuning. Also had to work on the cork on my other alto also to get the mp to go far enough in. Horn still plays well and nothing has falling off like others have posted. At this point, if someone offered me $320 I would not sell as I love the feel and sound I am getting. Also love the looks of the antique brass.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The same instrument is available from an American distributor on Ebay for $178.00 to about $220.00 (depending upon the finish). It ships free from Dayton, New Jersey.

He pronounces the brand as am moon. It is intended to be thought as A.M. Moon (as in "morning moon"). If you don't like the logo on the lightweight case, blacken it with a black Sharpie.

ammoon was a Chinese supplier/manufacturer of Gator-type cases and auxilliary products. This particular saxophone has been around for quite a while and was sold under a couple of different names. If you are a proponent of the CCS, now is the time to buy. The U.S.-Chinese trade situation is volatile.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This particular saxophone has been around for quite a while and was sold under a couple of different names. If you are a proponent of the CCS, now is the time to buy. The U.S.-Chinese trade situation is volatile.
The one on ebay is no longer available in the antique bronze or red bronze color for $178. Good point on the sax being around for a while, as it is very similar to my Hunter NY alto which is also a Chinese stencil. I bought that used for more $ but is most likely a 90's horn. Is there anyway to find out which Chinese factories are putting out quality and making what brand or stencils? There were several reasons why I took the risk of buying on-line as opposed to trying it first at a shop. No good sax shops within a days drive, the low price, Amazon's return policy, on-line reviews, had a problem with low notes on my other alto that two techs could not fix, and the antique finish. I did just go in and purchase an extended 4 year protection as there were posts about things falling off. You can do that on Amazon within the return period. Not sure I would replace my YTS-52, which the tech described as a train wreck. I love the way it responds and sounds. Ammoon or LADE does not offer the antique brass finish in a tenor and I can't find any good on-line reviews on their other tenors. These Chinese horns seem to lack serial numbers and model names so good on-line reviews and return policies are very important. I feel t is slightly better than buying any used sax on-line for around the same money as the new Ammoon cost. I did find a cheap tenor with the finish I like but it is most likely a knock off so I would not buy it. https://www.dhgate.com/product/high...phone/426023303.html#s1-0-1b;searl|1611608010

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yes, that finish sold out, and a lot of altos have sold as well. It's mostly sopranos left.

Give it awhile. More will be in stock. Be sure of it.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Assuming this is a Chinese made Amazon brand but I could not find much on the web about it. Wondering if anybody has experience with the brand. The Amazon reviews look ok and this youtube video and another got my attention https://youtu.be/m3tPErM0P6o https://youtu.be/H12JAVAT0Es I have G.A.S (Gear acquisition syndrome) so since I liked the looks and sound I took the plunge for $207 after discounts and promotion. Bought many a horn and never bought one without at least touching it first. I will know shortly if I purchased parts for my next lamp.
Only their reeds. Here's my single-word review: JUNK

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My experience with these class of horns, is that they are surprisingly ok-built, can play easily out of the box, look great, etc. But, I find the tone and intonation is not great. I'm not sure why that is. You would think they could copy every last dimension and get the design right, say a Yamaha or Selmer. But they never live up to these superior horns in tone and seem to be a challenge pitch-wise. If you look at youtube videos of really good players demo these class of horns, they sound ok at first, but then listen to similar players on better horns. You'll pickup up on the intonation thing, and also the tone thing, even with heavy reverb and other processing to flatter.

My theory is that they don't give the player feedback when you hit the right pitches, and therefore you aren't compensating effectively. Maybe its just regulation and setup, or maybe not. Eitherway, be mindful, because you don't want a horn (or any instrument) that's going to impede pitch perception and "train" ears to be happy with bad intonation and tone.

·
Banned
652 Posts
I used to be optimistic about Chinese brands, until I bought one. Terrible. Is Ammoon Chinese? If so I would avoid them. <removed, political statements are not allowed> Their horns are junk because they are made by machines that use human bodies for labor, not individuals that take great pride in their work. Now if it's a Taiwanese brand, I'd be far more likely to trust it. KHS horns in my experience, whether cheap or expensive, are very sturdy and very good. And they are still quite affordable if you know what to look for. Don't waste your time with JinBao or JinYing made horns, or anything else Chinese, especially when better quality Taiwanese is almost as affordable and far better quality.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts