Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching parts of the American Music Awards show last night on TV, and it seems to me all the categories and performances just focus on and celebrate the vocalists. There is no place in this show for giving awards or recognition to musicians - they are treated as purely supporting background to the vocalists.

The name of this program is therefore misleading - in my opinion it should just be called the American Vocal Awards.

In some ways, the basic structure of most popular music heavily favors vocalists at the expense of musicians. The general population understands and relates to the vocal part of music more naturally or easily than the instrumental part. As a result, the vocalists are the stars and make far more money.

Musicians are only the main stars in the jazz and classical environments, which are much smaller segments of appeal in society. This is the part of sax playing that can really be a negative aspect.

· Registered
411 Posts
Personally, I won't even turn to those "awards shows" anymore! I don't agree with 95% of the "winners" and I think it's all a bunch of elites patting themselves on the backs. Tell me it's not political! (Sheesh...) Oh well, I guess everybody needs a little recognition....along with their millions.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,163 Posts
In some ways, the basic structure of most popular music heavily favors vocalists at the expense of musicians. The general population understands and relates to the vocal part of music more naturally or easily than the instrumental part. As a result, the vocalists are the stars and make far more money.
Not in a bar band.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
8,125 Posts
There is no place in this show for giving awards or recognition to musicians…
What you don't realize is that the AMA were designed to promote pop music. They are sometimes fun to watch but are not a serious attempt to award quality. For that you need to look at the Grammy awards which are considered more prestigious and taken seriously by the outside world. Grammy has Jazz categories, arranging categories, composer awards, classical music awards, etc. Now, you don't always see those on the televised broadcast but they certainly have lots of awards for musicians.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.