Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be performing a junior undergrad recital next year and would like to play a big French piece as well as a big non-French piece to balance out the program. I'm fairly adept with French pieces so I think I have that part of the program convered. What big American pieces do ya'll like? The only ones on my list so far are the Creston Sonata, Lunde Sonata, and Heiden Sonata. Beyond that, I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,143 Posts
Starting with the composers you've already listed, Creston also wrote a concerto and Heiden also wrote Solo and Diversion. Other composers - Dahl concerto, Ned Rorem Picnic on the Marme, Muczynski sonata and concerto, and on and on and on. You really have a LOT of choices for American saxophone music. Good luck.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
IMHO, music shouldn't be categorized by the nation in which it was written.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally have no opinion on the classification of pieces by nationality, but my professor suggested a French piece and a non-French piece, particularly American. In response to eddierich, which piece(s) would be playable for me? I've done the Glazounov, Ibert, and Maurice. That's about the only way I can indicate my playing ability without actually playing for you... haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts