Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, at my heart I'm totally a straight-ahead player. I love it. I also really enjoy good funk (Greyboy Allstars!). But for awhile, I have become increasingly interested in what I can only describe as "Ambient Jazz". I think the word Ambient has a negative connotation, at least in the straight-ahead neo-classicist circle, bringing to mind endless electronic synthesized loops. So if anyone has a better word for it, chime in. I'm not sure if it falls into the avant-garde genre (if we were to play the categorizing game), since it sounds more organized. At least to my ears.

Anyways, examples of this kind of music have been really hard for me to come by. A prime example of this genre is the "Love Theme" played by Dick Morrissey from the film Blade Runner.

I also discovered Piertomas Dell'Erba, a fantastic player with some very interesting and creative ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtommy

I was just curious what others' opinions are about this style, and if it interests you, and if you know any other artists with this type of sound.

Trev

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Sorry, I can't listen too long to that guy you gave in the links. In my opinion, he is limited in ideas and he's got a bad ear, also. Having said that, I like that kind of music. My suggestion is to listen to Gato Barbieri's music, probably "Last Tango in Paris", and post-1976 recordings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Who was the soprano player who did a bunch of recordings down in the grand canyon? Was is Paul Winter? You may want to check out his stuff. It would be categorized under New Age, but may still be in the vein of what you are talking about.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Jan Garbarek and Gato Barbieri are both similar stylistically to the OP's clips. I recall Gato's music to be notably simpler than Garbarek's and more like smooth jazz - but it's been a while since I listened to Gato (on vinyl!), and I may be out-of-date.

EDIT: For Garbarek, I'd suggest trying In Praise of Dreams, Twelve Moons, or Ragas and Sagas. Some of his work (Officium) - while very beautiful IMO - is notably different in format from his other stuff.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm sorry but there's just something about the saxophone that makes me want to hear it clearly without reverb,echo and fancy shmancy electronic production techniques. It's really the only instrument I feel that way about. Flute? Guitar?Harmonica?Kazoo? You name it,bring it on but for sax I just lose my patience. I don't consider the EWI a sax so it gets a pass. I trashed my John Klemmer "Touch" LP in frustration. It didn't make a very good frisbee.That said, I don't know that I would consider any of the tunes you posted as any kind of jazz,they are much too structured and you never get the feeling that they are going to go off into unexplored territory. Ambient does describe Vangelis pretty well ( Bladerunner ),the other guy...I don't know,adult contemporary?easy listening? Thinking about it though,you may enjoy John Klemmer. I'd send you my copy of his album but they never seem to play as well when you glue them back together.

·
More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
1,751 Posts
Thinking about it though,you may enjoy John Klemmer.
That'd be me, actually. It was some of my earliest non-rock-n-roll listening back in the early '70's (along with Mangione, Grover, Chick Corea, et al.) I eventually expanded my tastes somewhat, listening to cool, bebop, swing, then East Coast, West Coast, and a few other sub-genre labels. Found stuff I liked, stuff that I developed a taste for, and stuff that I flat could never get into.

But when I came back to Klemmer's stuff, I still found it enjoyable and worth my time (usually late at night .) I guess in general I try to not make value judgments about what people choose to play, even the G-ster.

If it speaks to somebody then it's worthwhile, and I congratulate it's creator or interpreter, even if I can't - - or don't want to - - understand the language, or that particular dialect. In this house there are many, many rooms.

·
27,647 Posts
What I liked about John's was that he was exploring, yet doing it in a way that was approachable to the average listener.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,687 Posts
Count me as another person that enjoyed Klemmer in the early '70s.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You'd probably dig Darcy James Argue's Secret Society...it's big band, but it has the sweetest orchestration! Gah! It's crazy good!

·
27,647 Posts
You'd probably dig Darcy James Argue's Secret Society...it's big band, but it has the sweetest orchestration! Gah! It's crazy good!

I would think that's a bit tense for what the OP is looking for but I enjoyed it. I've never heard of the band but any band that's got Ingrid Jensen playing in it's worth a second look. BTW was that Erica von Kleist on alto?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Jon Hassell:

Jon Hassell!!! I haven't heard him in the longest time.Saw him perform live at St.James Anglican in Montreal. Excellent show.Now that is definitely ambient ( he did some stuff with Brian Eno and played on Talking Heads "Remain In Light" album)with a touch of jazz. It just occurred to me that what you might really enjoy would be Oregon.Very talented players who would improvise on each other,weaving sounds in and out in a very meditative way. Music you could just have playing in the background and that's cool or listen to attentively and see where they take the music. Actually, I've got to go dig some of their albums out and give them a spin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
JOHN KLEMMER IS A M.F.! He's recorded in every style of Music possible that peope still haven't heard. Know your History! Thank God you guys who are "open" to Jan etc. etc. The "jazzers" are the LEAST hip & open than they think they are. Prejudiced & elitist. "Ambient" is a "Catagory" like; "SMOOTH JAZZ" has never been & IS NOT a "style" of Music! It's a Music Biz Marketing Term that unfortunately has "stuck". Like what you like & don't. "REAL PRO'S" etc. are not so judgmental. They have humility & ARE OPEN & not juvinile. Congrats to the Cats that are Mature & Open!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
i have a few john klemmer Lps, brazilia!..i like a lot great energy,,and as the title states,very much in the southamerican samba,vibe!..

·
27,647 Posts
JOHN KLEMMER IS A M.F.! He's recorded in every style of Music possible that peope still haven't heard. Know your History! Thank God you guys who are "open" to Jan etc. etc. The "jazzers" are the LEAST hip & open than they think they are. Prejudiced & elitist. "Ambient" is a "Catagory" like; "SMOOTH JAZZ" has never been & IS NOT a "style" of Music! It's a Music Biz Marketing Term that unfortunately has "stuck". Like what you like & don't. "REAL PRO'S" etc. are not so judgmental. They have humility & ARE OPEN & not juvinile. Congrats to the Cats that are Mature & Open!
Well, I'm not quite sure how to take that mini-rant, as a compliment or an insult. I am a hard core jazzer and I like John Klemmer and ambient, house, Euro-beat, techno, all sorts of things. So - thanks . . . I think. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts