Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting last night, each time I log in to the forum, an ad from Amazon appears. I use Ad-Blocker but it does not block this one. It is only on SOTW and on different computers. Is this some malware or authorized by SOTW?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I get it on lots of pages I open today in the forum, on different devices. Malware? Maybe, depending on your views of Amazon. Seems like some sort of particularly annoying ad. As soon as pop up blocking technology was created, workarounds and resultant ads appear.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
I'm only getting the Amazon Prime ads since they started the Amazon Prime Day sales yesterday. Otherwise, no popups... it is kinda annoying but I'm anticipating my ads going away when the Amazon Prime sales fizzles out... I have no desire to make Jeff Bezos any more wealthy than he already is...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I frequently get the popup that Pete posted when I use the browser on my cellphone to access SOTW. The frustrating thing is that there is no way to get rid of it without closing the page, re-connecting to SOTW, and hoping it doesn't happen again. If you Google it, it's pretty common and has been described as a type of malware.

The Amazon Prime sale ad is new and I see that when I connect via my desktop. I'm assuming this is a temporary promotion and the site owners are getting ad revenue in return for displaying it when we connect to SOTW. At least we can click through that one and continue to the content.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,210 Posts
I get the Amazon pop up as well. AND one from google play wanting me to install tapatalk.
Annoying but easily closed.
I'm kind of getting tired of them...

·
3,945 Posts
First time in two days that amazon ad didn’t pop up. Site has been slowing down for weeks to me. Today I tried different browsers, made no difference.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I haven't been on in about a week since the forum was having issues, but today was the first time I saw the amazon pop up. It was on my laptop so I was able to click the greyed out background to navigate back to the forum but there was no 'x' or 'close' option in the ad that displayed over top of the forum.

Thanks!
Kristy

·
4,580 Posts
The ad I was getting was Amazon Prime Day and it popped up over the main page every time I'd load a page. It has stopped. The one that SaxyGirl and others are reporting only seem to happen on mobile devices, and is some form of browser hijack that I used to deal with all the time. I don't think they were related. The first one is legit and generated by Amazon ads and the 2nd one is almost virus-like.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,936 Posts
The first one is legit and generated by Amazon ads and the 2nd one is almost virus-like.
Almost virus like? I could believe that except it only ever happens with SOTW.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've seen it on my cell phone as well but did not think that it was Amazon. My assumption was that Amazon was being used by someone trying to get me to respond and open the door to more malware.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Boycott amazon.
The box closes when you hit the x in the upper right corner. So many complaints about a free site. Perhaps you’d all rather pay dues?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts