Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, many thanks for the wonderful response from SOTW members for the ebook "A History Of Rock Sax". On behalf of John and myself, I greatly appreciate the interest, support and very kind comments.

Having said that, in Canada, while most Amazon orders have gone through without any problems, some people have not been able to download due to this notice appearing: "Due to copyright restrictions, the Kindle title you're trying to purchase is not available in your country/region: Canada.” This notice is in error. Copyright has been granted for Canada and The United States. For those in Canada who contacted me about this, I've now sent Amazon gift cards for the unfortunate inconvenience.

Here is the note I received today (Jan.14.2022) from Amazon.ca:

"Ride The Wild Wind: A History Of Rock Sax: Sound Clips, Interviews
Laughter, John (AUTHOR); Sharpe, Neil F (AUTHOR)
B09L79RQ4G
Your book is currently live and available for purchase. Check out the detail page to check the status:"
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09L79RQ4G

Amazon.com : history of rock sax

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,760 Posts
Congratulations on getting your book into print. I know you have been working on it for many years. I just bought a copy and look forward to reading it.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,984 Posts
Neil will have to answer that question. Probably too costly for a printed book.

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Re a print version, we did discuss this at length but the costs/purchase price would be substantially higher and print couldn't give us the same range, depth and interactivity. With the ebook "A History Of Rock Sax" not only can you read about the musician/track/production/stories/interviews but also instantly hear the music!

Spanning from 1920-2021, this book is loaded with sound clips, interviews, techniques and transcripts that cover not only rock, but blues, jazz, funk, r&b, soul, country, dub, rap, hip hop, alternative, indie...even metal, punk and techno. The sax is everywhere!

John and I had a lot of fun putting it together, especially the interviews from musicians who usually wouldn't be available but because of the pandemic were sitting at home and more than happy to help out. If you have an Android tablet or an iPad or iPhone, a free app is available to read Kindle books.

Amazon.com
Available at Amazon around the world! e.g.:
https://www.amazon.ca/Ride-Wild-Wind-History-Interviews-ebook/dp/B09L79RQ4G/
Ride The Wild Wind: A History Of Rock Sax: Sound Clips, Interviews eBook : Laughter, John, Sharpe, Neil F: Amazon.co.uk: Books

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,760 Posts
Re a print version, we did discuss this at length but the costs/purchase price would be substantially higher and print couldn't give us the same range, depth and interactivity. With the ebook "A History Of Rock Sax" not only can you read about the musician/track/production/stories/interviews but also instantly hear the music!

Spanning from 1920-2021, this book is loaded with sound clips, interviews, techniques and transcripts that cover not only rock, but blues, jazz, funk, r&b, soul, country, dub, rap, hip hop, alternative, indie...even metal, punk and techno. The sax is everywhere!

John and I had a lot of fun putting it together, especially the interviews from musicians who usually wouldn't be available but because of the pandemic were sitting at home and more than happy to help out. If you have an Android tablet or an iPad or iPhone, a free app is available to read Kindle books.

Amazon.com
Available at Amazon around the world! e.g.:
https://www.amazon.ca/Ride-Wild-Wind-History-Interviews-ebook/dp/B09L79RQ4G/
Ride The Wild Wind: A History Of Rock Sax: Sound Clips, Interviews eBook : Laughter, John, Sharpe, Neil F: Amazon.co.uk: Books
As I said above, I bought a copy and started on it this morning. I’m reading it on the Kindle app on my laptop. I think I’ll probably move to my iPad for convenience. My Kindle Paperwhite isn’t set up for video and sound.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,984 Posts
Microphone Band plays Musical instrument Guitar String instrument

DAVID WOODFORD and BONNIE RAITT
Photo courtesy DAVID WOODFORD

From;
"Ride The Wild Wind: A History Of Rock Sax: Sound Clips, Interviews" Kindle Edition
by John Laughter (Author), Neil F Sharpe (Author)

#17 (#15 CAN) AIN’T EVEN DONE WITH THE NIGHT—JOHN COUGAR (MELLENCAMP)

DAVID WOODFORD - TENOR

Dave “Woody” Woodford has been playing R&B, rock ‘n’ roll, and jazz saxophone since he was twelve years old. In the 1960s he played with The Shirelles and The Drifters. In the 1970s, he worked with Aerosmith, David Sanborn, and Yvonne Elliman. In the 1980s, he toured with Bonnie Raitt and Stevie Ray Vaughn, recorded with Rod Stewart, and arranged for and played in the Star Search studio band. In the 1990s, he played at Woodstock ’94 with the Band, toured and recorded with Little Feat, played in the Broadway hit Smokey Joe’s Café, and toured the world with Bruce Willis’s band, The Accelerators. After watching him work in a Hollywood recording studio back in 1978, TV’s Valerie Harper gave Woody the moniker “Rock ‘n’ Roll Gunslinger!”

Woodford was born and reared in the Boston area. He started playing tenor sax professionally in 1960, playing “live on the air” for the Ken Carter Pepsi Dance Party on Boston radio station WCOP, and worked constantly through his high school years. He graduated with a Bachelor of Musical Composition from Berklee College of Music in 1970, and from 1969 through 1970 Woodford created and taught Berklee’s first course in rock ‘n’ roll and R&B horn arranging. He remained in the Boston area until 1977, recording and playing with various local and national artists, including Aerosmith, Tom Rush, Martin Mull, and Livingston Taylor. From 1967 to 1972, Woodford was co-leader, B3, and sax player for a popular eleven-piece Boston band, Swallow, and was a songwriter, arranger, and co-producer for the band’s albums (recorded for Atlantic and Warner Brothers records in 1970 and 1971). From 1967 to 1971, and from 1972 to 1977, he recorded and toured with Aerosmith, as well as the British singer Dana Gillespie, jazz artist Ben Sidran, and blues greats James Cotton and Howlin’ Wolf.

In 1977, Woodford moved to Los Angeles, where he co-founded the contemporary jazz group, Dr. Strut. The band was the flagship of the now-defunct Motown Jazz division and recorded two albums for the label that hit the top of the Billboard Jazz charts. The band also released a very successful self-produced album for Japan’s Canyon Records and toured Japan several times in the early 1980s.

Woodford toured and recorded as a featured performer with Bonnie Raitt from 1979 through 1985. He then left Raitt to work as an arranger and the entire sax section for the popular television show Star Search. He remained with the show for five years, while building a reputation as a session player, playing on the hits like “The Heat is On” (Beverly Hills Cop), “Ain’t Even Done with the Night” (John Mellencamp’s first hit), “Fallen” (Pretty Woman), and “Danger Zone” (Top Gun). He spent several years working as one of Giorgio Morodors’s “resident humans” at Giorgio’s Oasis recording studio. During this time, Woodford worked on the soundtracks to the motion pictures Beverly Hills Cop I & II, Top Gun, Over The Top, and Quicksilver, as well as the music for the 1984 Olympic Games, held in Korea. In 1985, Woodford found himself flying to New York City frequently, after being asked to take over David Sanborn’s sax chair in the band Who It Is, with Richard Tee, Cornell DuPree, Dave Weckl, and Will Lee.

Woodford has played on hundreds of albums, radio and TV jingles, and movie scores, as well as several French and Japanese recordings. His arrangements can be heard on television show Happy Days, the movie Top Gun, and many other projects. He played in the stage band in the musical Smokey Joe’s Cafe, worked on the under-score to Bruce Willis’ movie The Whole 9 Yards, and co-wrote the horn arrangements with Rick Braun for contemporary jazz artist Jeff Golub’s latest CD. The end of 1999 found Woodford recording with Elton John for a new Disney animated movie, working on the Michael Hutchins’s (former INXS lead singer) posthumous solo CD, and playing sax and flute with legendary blues band Canned Heat on New Year’s Eve. In 2000, Woodford was recording with French superstar Vanessa Pradis, Aaron Neville, and Australian rock hero Jimmy Barnes, as well as touring Australia with Barnes. Dave Woodford is still very much in demand as a player, producer, arranger, and horn contractor, working with artists from Johnny Mathis and Bobby Vinton to Tower of Power and Elton John. He is a true “Rock ‘n’ Roll Gunslinger!”

Live performance credits:
Aerosmith, Gregg Allman, The Angels, Brian Auger, The BAND, Jimmy Barnes, Bobby Bland, Gary “US” Bonds, Bonnie Bramlett, Rick Braun, Randy Brecker, Jackson Browne, Billy Burnette, Canned Heat, The Coasters, James Cotton, Cheryl Crowe, Billy Crystal, The Drifters, Dr. Strut, Cornell DuPree, Yvonne Elliman, Victor Feldman, Mick Fleetwood, Flo & Eddie, Robben Ford, Steve Gadd, Jeff Golub/Avenue Blue, Emmy Lou Harris, Don Henley, Howlin’ Wolf, Etta James, Rickie Lee Jones, Chaka Khan, Nicolette Larson, T. Lavitz, Albert Lee, Will Lee, John Mayall, Sam Moore (Sam & Dave), Graham Nash, Ivan Neville, Bonnie Raitt, Johnny Rivers, Tom Rush, David Sanborn, Sha Na Na, Boz Scaggs, The Shirelles, Ben Sidran, Jimmy Smith, Bruce Springsteen, Steven Stills, Sting, Stuff, Supertramp, Richard Tee, Tower of Power, Phil Upchurch, Billy Vera, Joe Walsh, Tony Williams, Bruce Willis, and Edgar Winter.

Gold and Platinum Record Credits:
The Heat is On (Glenn Frey), Danger Zone (Kenny Loggins), Ain’t Even Done with the Night (John Mellencamp), Long Distance Lover (Sheena Easton), Get Your Wings (Aerosmith), Live Bootleg (Aerosmith), Top Gun (Soundtrack), Beverly Hills Cop (Soundtrack), Beverly Hills Cop II (Soundtrack), Over The Top (Soundtrack), The California Raisins Album, The Best of Rod Stewart, Camouflage (Rod Stewart), Foot Loose and Fancy Free (Rod Stewart), Downtown Train (Rod Stewart), If We Fall in Love Tonight (Rod Stewart), and Pretty Woman (Soundtrack).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts