Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered a new iPad app called "The History of Jazz -- an interactive timeline" by 955 Dreams. I am absolutely stunned by how great it is. If you are even remotely interested in jazz, it's worth the $4.99 price. If you love jazz, you'll feel as though you died and went to heaven.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's available for iPhone. But I just found a way to occupy the next 100 hours or so I spend on the treadmill with my iPad.

Check it out!

(Oh, and while you're at it, you can download "Jazz Music Shows on Internet Radio -- LITE" by Audibilities, LLC for free.)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Buck Laughlin, I just discovered a new iPad app called "The History of Jazz -- an interactive timeline" by 955 Dreams.
Excellent suggestion. So how do I find that app in itunes? I searched "The History of Jazz", it did not pop up?

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent suggestion. So how do I find that app in itunes? I searched "The History of Jazz", it did not pop up?
I was doing a search in the App Store on my iPad for the History Channel. After I typed in "history," it came up in the suggestions menu as "the history of jazz -- an interactiv . . ." so I clicked on it to check it out. I don't know if being in the U.S. made any difference. Is there a different App Store in Europe? Maybe try searching in the iPad App Store instead of directly in iTunes. I tried searching for it on my iPhone, and couldn't find it.

I just finished reading the biography, watching all the video, and listening to the audio for Buddy Bolden. I'm even more thrilled than before, and I'm not even out of the 1890s Ragtime section yet. You can skip all around, but I think I'm going to go through it chronologically.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Buck, nice tip. It seems to be more expensive here in The Netherlands (Euro 7.99) but looks like it's worth it, I just downloaded it from the App store.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Buck, nice tip. It seems to be more expensive here in The Netherlands (Euro 7.99) but looks like it's worth it, I just downloaded it from the App store.
After you've spent some time with it, let me know what you think. I'm still figuring out some of the interactive stuff. The hyperlinks in the Wikipedia text don't seem to be working, and the YouTube clips don't connect to other clips. I think they're all just embedded in the app. This could be good if you want to read, watch, and listen without an Internet connection. The description said there's over 45 hours of video on this app.

I'm still loving it. But I'm sticking to my systematic, chronological approach and resisting the temptation to jump into the bebop and cool jazz genres.

Oh, and half the membership will be happy to know that Kenny G (among others) is featured in the smooth jazz section. Like I said, this app is pretty comprehensive!

Addendum: I just tried it, and discovered that you do need an Internet connection to access the Wikipedia material, the YouTube video, and the music samples.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts