Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
If it is Amati, then it's after 1945. The serial number is low, so say 1946/7. I had one just like it (nickel plate, with a polished brass bell interior). I had mine fully overhauled, using pads with domed plastic Selmer-style renators. Mine was a lovely, smokey, bluesy sort of tenor with good intonation and a very even scale. Great fun to play: spoke very easily at the bottom and had a good strong core sound all the way up. I paid about £250.00 for mine on UK Ebay about ten years ago, added another £250.00 for the repad etc, and eventually sold it for about £700.00. I wish I'd kept it really, but I needed the cash at the time.

What condition is the one you're considering in? And how much does the seller want for it?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the fast reply,

its definitely an Amati, the picture you see is how the seller bought it (many)years ago, but he says it`s had a full service/repad 2 years ago.
he`s asking a good 400 pounds for it.

and you say this is nickel with polished brass bell interior.? i thought it was silver but the seller doesnt mention it..
do you know if these saxophones have rolled toneholes? i cant tell for sure by the picture.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
he says it`s had a full service/repad 2 years ago.
he`s asking a good 400 pounds for it.
If the sax is low-mileage and undamaged, and if he can provide a receipt for the repad from a reputable repairer, then I would say that's a fair price, even on the current depressed market.

and you say this is nickel with polished brass bell interior.?
That's what mine was, and yours looks very similar; but it's hard to tell from one picture.

do you know if these saxophones have rolled toneholes? i cant tell for sure by the picture.
Yes they do have rolled tone holes, and they are (just about) visible in the picture.

It won't be an easy horn to sell on if you don't like it, so it would be best to play-test it if you can.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he has sent more pictures now, and its in about the same condition as the above picture!

although i believe the pics in the case were made right after the service it`s still in very good shape.

he only made a mistake with the serial number it`s 184xx in stead of 164xx (it`s still marked JGK best in the world), does this mean its made in 1949/50?

and he`s also throwing in a metal mouthpiece (cant read brand) that looks quite "vintage" i told the guy to reserve it for me and i will come by and give it a try (with a full wallet).

click on url for a few pictures.

http://bit.ly/g0BMsw

thanks for these helpfull tips!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Koen,

Three weeks ago I bought a 1950's nickel Lignatone Amati Tenor in near mint condition.
Cost me 175 euro's.
If you read my earlier posts, you will find that in my opinion, Amati is the most underrated saxophone in the world.
That's great, because if you are not fooled by "Great Brands" there are marvelous instruments out there for absolute bargain deals.
Today I bought a full nickel straight soprano, Amati super classic in almost unused condition for 350 euro's
All I want now to complete the collection is a baritone.
My youngest son used a straight soprano by selmer until he left the band. This one sound much nicer, has no ring though to attach the neck band.
Must be old, in mint condition.

Ilive not so far away from you, send me a mail and I might be able to help with a few tips.

Dutchy

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well after quite a journey i have got my Amati Toneking, the seller said it was overhauled 2 years ago when he tried to pick up playing sax again but he didn`t follow trough.. so after a repairman worked on it, the sax has been lying in a closet on the attic for 2 years.

Now to playing part:
when i tried to play it i couldn't get a note out under the G which was quite wobly as well. Obviously some leaking. so i looked at some pads and the high D, Eb and F palm Keys were all dry and hardened. My father who came with me pushed the pads until they were closed enough and it played fine.. After lying in the closet al those years the nickel plating became somewhat oxidized after cleaning the residu, I put some powder paper between al the pads. and i must say it plays fine now!

However after playing it all day i started to notice that my right hand was a bit kramped. so i pulled out my leaklight and saw that the low E and D key. werent adjusted in the right manner. when you push them down they leave a little spear of light trough so i have to push down quite hard.

now tonewise is always hard to explain i´ll try to make a recording if you´re interested. but here are my findings when playing with a:

Robert Malerne Metal mouthpiece (Lelandais superjazz stencil): an nice mellow tone with a nice edge and a darker sound in the lower register. the higher notes pop out quite nicely but i do miss my side F# key :(... but overall a nice jazzy sound (if you believe that exists.)

Robert Malerne Ebonite mpc (don`t know its original make but it has quite a large chamber, looks quite like a Riffault): a real buzzy sound and real dark in the lower register its too close of a mouthpiece for me so i dont really like it..

H. Couf Super Special (cheap; e-bay; plastic): real powerfull sound with a dark tone and a overall slight buzz (maybe my favorite thusfar). i can play real jazzy but would also do fine in a pop/Rock setting.( a bit like Billy Joel with its still rock and roll to me and the saxophone solo on about 1:50 http://bit.ly/7tPRrx

as last i played on a cheap ZhengHao metal mouthpiece (bouhgt it for a few bucks on e-bay) this is not a tone that i want for a sax. it sounds like it`s only letting the fundamental tone through and not the overtones. so it gives a hard loud sound an nothing more..

i would like to end this semi review with a few questions:
  • when playing on either mouthpiece, my middle D was way to high and a bit stuffy, this also goes for the D#. Anyone know what the reason of this problem could be?
  • Since there is no side F# key how can i play the high F# ?

hope you enjoyed this story and if you want to know more just let me know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
One thing you might want to try is to place the sax in a bathroom with the shower running and let the pads absorb the steam. NOT in the shower to be clear. This may seal the pads for 5 to 20 minutes so you can hear the tone in its fullness, without using the paper. The D problem may correct itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts