Sax on the Web Forum banner

Amati tenor (transitional model) ?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  littlewailer 
#1 ·
hi,
does anyone here knows this Amati tenor model?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tenor-Saxophon-AK-von-Amati-wie-neu/132783371957

It's made in Czechoslovakia so it's pre 1990 production but it doesn't look like classic or super classic model.But it's also not marked ATS and than number 21, 61 etc...
It looks special first of all because it has different left pinky table. (and particular one with Bb divided into two keys).
Anyone played one of those? Is it comfortable?
what model and year is that horn?
183xxx is the serial number.
it is worth to buy?

thanks.

Stas

#2 ·
That one looks like it's got features of the Classic and Supper Classic horns but also the horn I played for a while which is a bit later. The ATS-61

I have a mixed feeling about these Amati horns. I played my ATS 61 for almost 5 years. It served me very well and only cost me a small amount to keep me with a decent horn.

But the horn I got after the ATS 61 was a YTS 61 (coincidence?) and the Yamaha is many leagues above as far as tone, intonation and ergonomics go. And in this regard we are talking about a difference of maybe a $500 horn to a $1500-$1700 horn (although the Yamaha to me feels better than some of the 6-10K horns I've tried).

This live video was done on my Amati and is probably the best recording during this time.

solo at 2:01

#3 ·
hi! thanks. great video! sax sounds super cool!!!
yes, thats what I guess it's somehow transitional model between the classics series and the ATS.
I currently play Keilwerth New King and looking for a different horn as it has few quirks that annoys me.
how does this Bb split spatula works?

#4 ·
It's kind of odd. And in fact I had to add my own type of regulation to that part to make everything tight. It basically just means you can have a separate key to play something more like a trill or faster from Bb to B. And if you happen to just be playing a Bb in an easier passage you can use the other key (which sounds better)

Honestly I think it is a gimmick. And one that falls out of alignment easily. It took a little while to get used to. I'd rather just have a smoother spatula with one Bb key (which I have now).

I played a friends Amati Stenciled Horn that had Full Pearls (new king? Tone King?) and it was really buttery. Very dark. More than I an used to. The ATS was (well you can hear it in the recording) much livelier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.