Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an old Amati bari and fixed it up. I sandblasted it [see thread in "Sax body and finish"]. My intention was to sell it for a few quick bucks but here's the thing...this horn is amazing! I've owned quite a few baris [ Mk VI, Bueschers, King Zephyr, many, many others] and this one beats them all for tone, intonation and especially how free blowing it is. You just breath into it and all notes sing out clear and rich but you can push it all you want, too. When I got it, I was disappointed to see that it was an Amati. I told my wife "piece of cr*p". Man, was I wrong. Now I can't sell it. I just needed to tell somebody. This thing is a freak of nature. My point? Names don't mean much. You have to play them with an open mind. EDIT: Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hum... I startet Bari on one (belongs to my teacher!) I don't like it much, but sounds quite good :)

Chris

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea on model. I'd guess from 60's or 70's since it has wire key guards. The octave key is the most bizarre I've ever seen. The # is 1127XX

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
I think your bari is an ABS 21, which is a "copy" of an older Kohlert/Keilwerth design. They were stenciled as the King "Lemaire" and the Boosey and Hawkes "Lafleur". Check out Cybersax's Bari page to see a Lemaire. http://www.cybersax.com/4sale.html. They also made a low "A" model.
FWIW, Last year, I spoke with the manager of Amati-Denak US, who said that Amati had always considered their baris to be pro horns. Their poor reputation in the US may be somewhat the result of being tarred by the brush of the lesser tenor and alto models...:cool:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good call Xax. That's it exactly. Thanks for the info. Any idea when they made these? Speaking of the Cybersax page, somebody got a deal on that Selmer Super !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
LBAjazz said:
Good call Xax. That's it exactly. Thanks for the info. Any idea when they made these?
Not certain but i'm guessing that Amati made these from the mid 50's until the 80s?. If you find a pic of the Keilwerth version(ToneKing?), it's quite similar but has a bit different curve to the arm on (I think)the palm "D" and maybe a few other variations of that sort. The Amati's are probably not as robust as the Kohlert/Keilwerths. :cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I bought my first bari about a year ago-- a lo A Amati Super Classic Kraslice #164xxx. I was able to pick from a few different models/brands of baris at a private collector/restorer/sax player's home and the Amati had the best sound by far. Plus it had never been played much-- the felts and pads were original and practically unused and the finish is flawless except for some minor rust in spots (and a very slight dent I put in the bow because I wasn't used to a horn hanging down so low, being mainly a tenor player).

I am still on a mouthpiece search however and have gone thru a few, my favorite now is a metal Link 8 that seems a bit too open for me-- what do you use??

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using a no name hard rubber that plays good and sounds good but is too closed. So I'm looking, too. If you find something you like, I'd be interested in trying that Link.

·
Registered
294 Posts
LBA-- I'm probably hanging onto the Link as a backup, even if I find a piece I like better. I have an "Ideal" brand piece that plays nicely but is too closed and a Rico Graphtonite B7 that lacks the full tone I seek. I also tried a Metalite M11 that was too open for me as well-- sold that one here recently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts