Sax on the Web Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I'm probably closer to semi-pro than amateur and been playing 25-40 gigs a year, depending upon how many groups I'm officially part of, for almost 20 years now. I'm down to just 2 bands at the moment with 6-7 gigs presently scheduled for summer. Here around Denver if you're a solid player and not getting paid much for most gigs isn't an issue you could play a lot. The other sax player in the funk band I'm with at one time was rehearsing with bands every night except Tuesday including two on Sunday and playing gigs almost every Friday and Saturday night. The limitation is really how much time you have to devote and how much traveling around you're willing to do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Strictly amateur here, as I have a full time job as a Fitter - However, probably play about 20 gigs a year at local venues around my area in a couple of different bands, in which we get paid, so maybe I could be in a different classification. I do say to my workmates that i'm a musician, and to my band mates that i'm a Fitter - that way they don't expect too much of me.... Lol!!

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Yeah - I tell my band mates the same thing when they hand me something I can't play and ask me "why can't you play this?" - because I'm not a professional saxophone player. I often add - and that part is not actually written/arrange that way in any recording ever made of this tune either. Many of the bari parts in the horn band charts I see include unison parts with alto/tenor that were never played on bari in the original scores.

·
Registered
Alto: Buescher Aristocrat, Tenor: Yanagisawa T880, Bari: Selmer La Voix II
127 Posts
10ish gigs a year. mostly paid but only enough to make the 20 odd rehearsals free and well lubricated with good booze

41 - 45 of 45 Posts