Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Amadeus has been driving me crazy with sticky keys. I've had it probably a couple years now, so I decided it was due for a COA. Found some interesting things.

The flute was assembled with felt bumpers. In several places where the bumpers contact the body,or other keys (Bb linkage), there was severe green corrosion. It didn't really polish off very well, and under the G# bumper it appeared to go right through the plating to a copper colored base metal. This is an A700, and I thought it was solid silver, but the base metal must be an alloy with silver plating. The corrosion was disappointing. My first thought was a chemical reaction with the felt or adhesive.

Other than that, it doesn't really appear to be the most air-tight flute I've worked on. I found a couple pads which may need some shimming. I'll take a stab at that soon. It has had a weak, flat low register all along. I didn't find any damaged pads. The seating impressions are not even all the way around on many.

I don't think I'll start changing pads on it myself. I've done a few student flutes, usually with reasonable results, but this is my primary flute, and I think it deserves better than I can do myself. I'd like to find a flute tech in the New England area. I'm in Connecticut, USA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thoughts on your Amadeus Flute.
The flute, while sterling silver, was plated at the factory to make the silver color of the sterling match the silver color of the nickel, which the ribs and key mechanisms are made of. The body tubes are the sterling parts. This also hides the soldering of the joints where the barrel and tenon rings and ribs are attached, thus giving a uniform appearance to the entire flute. Many makers use a copper plating on top of the silver tubes before the final silver plating to make the silver adhere better to the tubes. When your skin acid wears through the 'outer silver plating' you expose the copper plating between the two layers of silver, giving the confusing appearance.

As for the etching through the silver, many felts and ultrasuede react to the plating and turn it green due to the chemicals in the materials and eat through the plating.

I built flutes for VQ Powell and restored flutes for Wm S. Haynes (Amadeus) and have worked on numerous Amadeus flutes. If I can be of further help, please don't hesitate to contact me. All the best. John Gill 1-916-531-1118

1 - 2 of 2 Posts