1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there !
i'm a newbie late bloomer !!
been trying to learn alto since feb 2007 and i'm a little confused!! ha ha
i don't see or hear any difference in THE NORMAL 'G' or 'G#', i do not see anything else opening or closing when i play 'G#' HELP thanks john

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I think your G# pad is stuck. Press the G# key and look at the mechanism. There is a pad at the end of the mechanism that should be opening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
Or if that gets too confusing, open and close your G key and observe which pad opens and closes. Press your G# key. The pad right below the one that was opening and closing should open. If not, gently un-stick it. After that, the G# key should work for a while. There are all kinds of ways to get a fairly decent fix for the stickiness. You'd do best to use the search button for "sticky G#" to see what they are. You'll be reading for hours if you go through all of it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's a good idea to check that key before you start playing. When he had finished playing, a friend of mine used to put a little block of rubber under the low C# key to keep it, and the G# sharp key open in the case. Good luck with your playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,424 Posts
That's why I don't drink soft drinks, coffee, mixed drinks, etc. when I'm playing. Since going clean the G# hasn't stuck once.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Try a dollar bill. But don't let it rip. They actually don't take them anymore. How dissapointing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
That's why I don't drink soft drinks, coffee, mixed drinks, etc. when I'm playing. Since going clean the G# hasn't stuck once.
I live in a humid city with lots of chemicals floating around in the atmosphere. I don't drink sugary drinks when I play either but it doesn't matter here. Pads are inevitably going to stick.

But what helps is putting paper or a dollar bill between the pad and the tonehole when I put the horn in the case. I have to do that with the low C# on my tenor. If I didn't, it would ALWAYS stick whenever I took it out of the case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
Being here in Okinawa where its always hot&humid was forever having problems with my G# and low C# keys sticking.i used pad cleaning paper,$ bills over and over until i finally broke down and orderd some charlie A's gig dust,,,my problems have been solved.Anything that works that good is probably not good for my pads but it sure does the job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts