Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter (12), has been playing the Tenor for about 6 months now. She is progressing very well(I don't even need the earplugs anymore!). Just kidding. As most kids do, she started out renting a Tenor through the school. It is a Cannonball T5 Alazar. Truthfully, I hate the horn. The springs keep popping out and it has spent way too much time in the shop (4 times in 6 months)

That brings us to determining if I am truly insane or not. I have a chance to buy a Yamaha 875 that is only one year old for what I think is a very good price. Am I insane for buying a professional model for a 12 year old? Would I be any less insane to buy her a Yamaha 62?

My daughter is one of those kids who is sickeningly intelligent. She has won the Presidents Academic award among many others. What do you think, should I buy her a cheaper Sax and spend the rest of the money on a good therapist and maybe some antipsychotic drugs?:?:?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,243 Posts
My daughter (12), has been playing the Tenor for about 6 months now. She is progressing very well(I don't even need the earplugs anymore!). Just kidding. As most kids do, she started out renting a Tenor through the school. It is a Cannonball T5 Alazar. Truthfully, I hate the horn. The springs keep popping out and it has spent way too much time in the shop (4 times in 6 months)

That brings us to determining if I am truly insane or not. I have a chance to buy a Yamaha 875 that is only one year old for what I think is a very good price. Am I insane for buying a professional model for a 12 year old? Would I be any less insane to buy her a Yamaha 62?
If a rental horn is acting that way, I'd ask for a different horn.

That aside, before we can comment on the 875 for a "very good price" - how much is it?

Unless she trashes the horn, buying a good used horn is usually a pretty sound way to go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Being the father of a 12 year old girl myself, my answer would be yes, you are insane. :D How responsible is she? Does she take care of her instrument? If she does, and it appears that she has the drive and determination then by all means buy her a nice sax. If she isn't the responsible type, stick with the Cannonball for a while. 12 is a tough age, some kids get it, and some (like mine) don't.

Another thought, if she is bringing a pro sax to school that could be a problem. There is the risk of it being damaged by other kids. Probably the best thing to do would be to have a student sax for school and a nice sax for home and performing, assuming you can afford it. Otherwise just stick with the student horn, like a Yamaha 23.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Being the father of a 12 year old girl myself, my answer would be yes, you are insane. :D How responsible is she? Does she take care of her instrument? If she does, and it appears that she has the drive and determination then by all means buy her a nice sax. If she isn't the responsible type, stick with the Cannonball for a while. 12 is a tough age, some kids get it, and some (like mine) don't.
Could this be an underlying reason why the Cannonball (a great horn by all means) keeps breaking down?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,243 Posts
Could this be an underlying reason why the Cannonball (a great horn by all means) keeps breaking down?
Why would springs keep popping out?

Too short? Not her fault.

Cleaning the horn? Not a bad reason on her part either.

I had my OWN first tenor at 12 (a Yanagisawa stencil "Continental") that I played for the next 15+ years - until I bought my Balanced Action from Fred Lamberson.

Insane? It's not a bad thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,829 Posts

My daughter is one of those kids who is sickeningly intelligent. She has won the Presidents Academic award among many others. What do you think, should I buy her a cheaper Sax and spend the rest of the money on a good therapist and maybe some antipsychotic drugs?:?:?
i dont think your insane!...but is this going to be a fad, in respect of that, if you fork out [money wise] for a 875 which is my moi! opinion,a excellent horn and a 62 isa also good top horn then would you consider a student model for now??... and then maybe move onto later a pro horn if your daughter, gets into playing a lot more?... maybe a 23 yamaha ...for instance maybe a better option..just my opinion?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I let my son use my Selmer Mark VII tenor in jr high and high school. Other than a few dings, it survived 6 years of school. The reason I let him use it in the first place was the school horns were junk and I was alway repairing or adjusting them. He always took care of it and kept it locked up when he wasn't playing it. I have it back now as he is not playing sax while away at college.

·
Always be a Beginner in the Sax Playing Art
2,322 Posts
Re : Re: Am I insane????

Another thought, if she is bringing a pro sax to school that could be a problem. There is the risk of it being damaged by other kids. Probably the best thing to do would be to have a student sax for school and a nice sax for home and performing, assuming you can afford it. Otherwise just stick with the student horn, like a Yamaha 23.
+1. The best advice in my opinion. :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
If springs poping out is the reason the horn is always in the shop, you should teach her how to take care and simple repairs like putting back springs, before you move her to a better horn.
Buy a use horn on ebay or craiglist, and it will be cheaper than a rental, even if you have to sell it later. Try to buy a yamaha, they sell faster.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

+1. The best advice in my opinion. :D
+2
I'd say get the 875 but also look for an older yts21 or yts23 or even yts275 - for use for normal school practice and marching band and get bashed around ,dropped, bumped against chairs etc. Make sure to get her a decent neckstrap or harness to use.

Get her some lessons outside of school

Start learning yourself as well

Insane/crazy can be good,makes things more interesting.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Hey Dad, we really need to know how much is being asked for that 875. Perhaps you've done a great deal of research and are spot on about it's being a good deal, but it might also be a good back-up to tell us what condition it's in and for how much so we can add our comments.

If she's 12 and has been playing 6 months, I don't think you can do better, and more practical, than to get a used Yamaha 23. These are put together very well, can take more abuse than many other saxes, and they play great. She won't outgrow it for some years.

Now, having said all that "if" you are really getting a good deal on the 875 and "if" you've got the loot to lose if she loses interest in a year or so, then go for it. It's a better sax than the 23 but she won't really know it at her stage. The difference is that the 875 is a professional sax so, hypothetically, she could play it for decades and not have to worry about buying another horn.*

*caveat...that is, until she grows up, starts reading SOTW, gets the Gear Acquisition Syndrome, and thinks she needs to buy a new sax every year. :twisted:

·
2,322 Posts
Re : Re: Am I insane????

[...]The difference is that the 875 is a professional sax so, hypothetically, she could play it for decades and not have to worry about buying another horn.*

*caveat...that is, until she grows up, starts reading SOTW, gets the Gear Acquisition Syndrome, and thinks she needs to buy a new sax every year. :twisted:
That's the point! :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
You may have the most intelligent and thoughtful 12 year old daughter around, but the other 12, 13, 14 year olds around her can cause a nice pro horn to get dinged or damaged just by being rowdy kids at times. Get a Yamaha YAS-23. If she goes to high school and they have a marching band, you'll be glad you did. A couple of trips on the band bus can "age" any horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
Well..... let me pause to thank my dad and mom for buying me an alto (used) back in 1970 or 71. I used for 6 years up through senior in high school and then it sat for almost 30 years. I had it rebuilt this January. SO, my first question to my self is how did I drag that horn around for 7 or 8 years and never ever drop it or ding it. Minor scratches, yea, a little lost shellac sure. But here is my thoughts.... the cost of a horn is small compared to the other expenses of having a child. The advantage of her having a horn she owns, she is responsible for, that she knows you bought her. Priceless.

Thanks Mom and Dad, I didn't turn out to be a collage level musician but I still love that sax.

·
2,322 Posts
You want to make us crying or what??? :D

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Caillou is a Thread Pirate! He has learned well. My job is done :D

Anyway, back on topic...

Get as much sax as you can, for as little money as you can. She can upgrade on her own later. A pro sax is a very personal thing, as sound concepts or lifestyles change.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts