Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently put my saxophone up for sell on a local classifieds online and have had 2 replies thus far. One is a international buyer and the other I'm not sure off but they have "state side business associates." This is my first time selling online and was wondering if this sounds sketchy or is it just me being overly cautious of the situation?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Sketchy. (That's sketchy with a capital S if you didn't catch my drift...) I'd stay far away.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes,most of the time this is something to watch out for - but not all the time - just make sure that you have the money in hand BEFORE you send-- or if you get a check make sure it is real NO EXCEPTIONS - but if it starts to sound really strange - stay away and find another place to sell

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, One has given me their full information In the U.K. and the other gave me long instructions of how the process will work. Both will be sending payment via mail (check or money order, i requested money order). As is I really need the money and I will definitely take the precaution of making sure I have the money beforehand (which is what both claim because they will also be sending money for the shipping costs). Thanks again

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
I don't understand what is sketchy, I've done many overseas transactions. Ther's no more risk selling internationally than there is locally, as long as you get the cleared payment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Selmer Paris SA 80 series II Tenor. I requested 2200 for it and it is in great condition. The only reason I'm selling it is because this year has been very hard on my family financially and I need to find a way to get extra money to help with my college tuition and because the rest of my money is going towards helping family.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pete: I understand. It's just that it is my first sell online ( prefer doing things personally and not online) and maybe on the inside I'm reluctant to part with my long time companion :(

Apologize for the double post.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I am sorry you have to part with such a nice horn, and friend. Good luck in college, and whatever you decide to do with the horn.

~Carbs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. It has been good to me in HS but when college started and I started working I hardly had time to give it the attention I wanted to. Life is a harsh reality when your not prepared for it >.<

·
Registered
683 Posts
Don't provide them with your name and bank account number to "wire the funds" to. I can't go in to detail here but you could wind up in a situation where you think the funds are free and clear you send them the horn and then the next thing you know you're on the hook with the bank for the the money!! Be careful and talk to your banker.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I would do by paypal.
Set up a savings account in a totally different bank from the one where you bank, link it to your paypal account. Wait till the moneys in, then take it out of the account and ship the horn. And close the account after you get the money. They can't take whats not their.
Just an idea.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
(The following is only what I've been told. I have no personal experience in such matters.)

Paypal isn't that safe. Even with all those precautions, if the buyer uses a stolen credit card number, for example, you can have cash in hand and all accounts closed, and Paypal will aggressively come after you to get their money back if they can't collect from the buyer.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
If you check a site like Craigslist they caution in particular about taking money orders from overseas.
Is this a situation where the buyer arranges pickup?
If so his courier service will drop off what looks like a legit money order which will turn up as bad in a month or so. I know you want money quickly but an international sale of this type through a local classified listing is almost always a scam. Your bank will not be able to determine if the money order is legit on the spot and you assume 100% of the risk.
I would only accept moneygram or western union wires in a sale of this type. Let him trust you (you know you have the horn and are honest), you don't want to be in a position of trusting him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the info. I think I can conclude that 2 of the offers are scams due to the process they describe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I should be receiving a cashier's check in the mail today and I wanted to ask if it sounds good to wait and see if the check comes out clear before I send. They sent A total of 5,000.00 when the item was worth 2200 and wire the money via western union to some third party. This is very sketchy to me so I want to cash it wait a week or 2 for the bank to clear it and then send the money if all is good.

Would that process seem rude to the buyer? I would hope they understand I am just trying to make sure I don't end up in a situation worse then what I'm already in.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Kabisk,

That is a complete scam. What will happen is you will withdraw the extra money to cover and payback the overage amount, and in a few weeks time, the check will prove to be bogus. Your bank will withdraw from your account the entire amount of the fake check from your personal funds, and/or freeze your account until the loss has been satisfied.

Don't assume that the bank fully authenticates the legitimacy of the check when they give you the money, because they don't!

I have received MANY of these scam offers every time I have sold an item on a public market listing like Craigs List etc.

DON'T CASH THIS CHECK, and RUN don't walk from this scam!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Kabisk why would they send you almost twice your asking price, mate sounds very strange to me, get someone to check it out for you.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
TOTAL SCAM. You are a fool if you play along (please don't be a fool).
This is one of the most well documented and obvious scams. Keep in mind that your bank may take SIX MONTHS to authenticate or reject this mo (at your expense).
Part of the reason it can take so long is that these are part of high level operations and inside jobs. Often time they are using actual money order stock and all the correct bank codes with just a single digit inverted. So they pass visual inspection. Eventually the institution that presumably issued the mo does an audit and finds these. They contact your bank and your bank dings you.
DON'T DO IT!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts