Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alvin Batiste past away early this morning in his sleep. He was scheduled to perform at Jazz Fest today. One of the greatest jazz educators ever in this area that will be missed by everyone.

It was just last week at the 'Fest that newsman Ed Bradley was honored with a Jazz Funeral. Ed was a strong supporter of Jazz Fest and New Orleans music. He was personal friends with many of the musicians here in town.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
27,758 Posts
I'm not familiar with Avin Batiste, rip; but, I heard about y'all rolling out the red carpet for Ed Bradley's memorial. That was mighty nice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So sorry to hear this news. I have heard him on recordings and got to hear him live at the IAJE conference in N.O. several years ago--he was so generous with his time and thoughts regarding younger musicians' playing. You could immediately see, and feel, what a hugely important person he was in that community. Thank you for letting us know....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mr. Batiste

Wow, so mnay of the greats are falling recently. Mr. Batiste was an important clarinetist, educator, and contributor to the music. I heard him play "Countdown" on one of his CDs. It was amazing that it could be done - on clarinet no less! And he made it sound so easy. Alvin Batiste was widely known as a very imfluential jazz educator. One of the most beautiful things in life is to find a wonderful teacher who can inspire us and accellerate our development. By all accounts, Alvin Batiste was such an educator. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Batiste's family, former students, and friends.
- SM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts