Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing with HR Lakey 8*3 on my Tenors.
Love the mpc and the sound and it fits perfect on the style of music I'm playing (Ska).

So... now I'm thinking of buying a metal Lakey but I'm thinking which one to buy, the Aluminum or the Brass version. I would guess that the Brass one has a more warmer sound then the Aluminum one...

The local dealers here sell only the HR ones so if I want a metal one I have to order it.

Is there someone here who played both MPC's? What's your experience with both of them?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I played both of them i went with the brass one the aluminum was very thin sounding. Not much body at all i think the brass model beats it out. also if ur interested i will sell u my brass lakey for $160 it looks almost brand new its an 8*.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
The aluminum seemed to have amazingly quick response to me. Not sure how to explalin it, but it was very easy to change dynamics with little effort. I ended up not loving the sound, but it was an interesting piece, and probably warranted further play testing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!

Called a sax-shop overhere and they had the aluminum Lakey's on stock. So I can try the #8 and #9. I hope I will have them tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How did the Lakeys turn out for you?

I have not tried the brass, but I play the aluminum #9 all the time. Love it. Good intonation and wonderful dynamic range (including LOUD). Can blend well in ensembles, as well as blast with brass.

I still have an 8*3 I use on occasion, but the aluminum is my mainstay piece.

Besides the name, the HR and metal Lakeys are really nothing alike. Hopefully you were not disappointed (since you like the 8*3). I took the same path you did in acquiring a metal Lakey, and I was thrilled with what I found. Not for everybody, but definitely worth a try.

-DH

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
I'm sure it's perfectly safe, but I would worry putting aluminum into my mouth. Alzheimer's risk. Likely none of it enters the bloodstream :shock: :D , but. . . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No way... not dissapointed. I'm totally in love with the Aluminum Lakey #9.
You're right. HR is so different then the alu.
I use my 8*3 only for spare when I have a gig.

True. The alu Lakey mix perfect with the rest of the instruments. Has a good dynamic range, very much power and sounds great with the mic on stage.
The best mpc I ever had.

So... happy with the Lakey :)

What kinda reed and lig you're playing?
I use the Francois Louis #3.5 and a Rovner Light lig. For me the perfect combination.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad you like it! I'm with you, I need a special reason *not* to play this piece.

I've been using #3.25 Gonzalez reeds and just a standard metal alto sax ligature. I've recently tried a Pomarico light ligature on bass clarinet, and I like the freedom it provides for the reed. They make a model for clarinet, and I think it will fit the Lakey aluminum, so I'll let you know how that works.

Glad you like the Rovner. I don't. :) I never considered stuffiness a desired attribute of a ligature. :)

I haven't tried Francois Louis reeds. How do they play? You might consider giving the Gonzalez reed a try... I abhor stuffy reeds (blue box!), so the Gonzalez work very well for me. They are also incredibly consistent.

Gotta go blow! Gig tonight!

-DH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Owh... I don't think Rovner gives stuffiness... I like it.. especially the light version.

Tried the Gonzales reed but wasn't impressed about it

You should give the FL reed a try. The sound is quite bright but the reed plays very good. In combination with the Lakey, Rovner en FL reed I'm happy about the sound and comfort of playing. Lots of power and very consistent.

But for me... the Alu Lakey rules :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just an update on my setup....

I did order and receive the Pomarico light ligature for clarinet, and it fits the aluminum Lakey very well ---- with excellent sonic results! Have a look if you get a chance:

http://www.pomaricompieces.com/new.html

I'll keep my eyes open for the FL reeds. I've recently gone a half-strength softer on the Gonzalez reeds (now 2.75), giving me more flexibility, volume (seems more noticable with the Pomarico lig), and responsive bottom end. I'm a bit surprised you didn't care for them, but we all have our preferences!

Cheers!
-DH

·
Registered
88 Posts
soulysax said:
OK I am starting to feel a GAS attack. What does the Lakey aluminum sound like? Is it a Dukoff alternative or...?
Not a Dukoff. Think focused, clear sax sound. In some ways it makes the sax sound a bit more like a brass instrument, which makes it match well with trumpet/trombone in rock 'n roll, funk, fusion, etc. Treat her like a lady and she'll sing like one. But hit her hard and she can growl with the best of them.

What I like best about it is that it gives me the freedom to produce whatever sound I want -- at nearly any volume I want.

I think all the comments in this thread are valid, and consistent --- even from those who didn't care for it as much.... it's just that we're all looking for something a bit different. My advice would be to try it and see how it suits you.

The aluminum Lakey cured my Tenor GAS. Unfortunately, I still have other strains in my bloodstream.....

-DH

·
Registered
179 Posts
Heise said:
Not a Dukoff. Think focused, clear sax sound. In some ways it makes the sax sound a bit more like a brass instrument, which makes it match well with trumpet/trombone in rock 'n roll, funk, fusion, etc. Treat her like a lady and she'll sing like one. But hit her hard and she can growl with the best of them.

-DH
Thanks for the tip. That sounds a lot like what I have been searching for. I can feel the GAS must find relief...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I took the plunge and ordered an Alum. Lakey. Not really what I expected. It plays more like a brighter rubber piece than a powerful metal. Has a rubber profile rather than a thinner metal one. Not for me so back to Mr. Lakey it will go.

BTW you don't have to worry about the aluminum issue. It has a black annodized coating so all is well there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry to hear you did not care for it. I never thought about it playing like a "brighter rubber piece", but I can see how you might say that -- though, I would suggest, with a clearer, more focused sound.... (I would argue this focus makes it more powerful)... Your comment about the profile is significant, too -- it really does have the profile of a hard rubber piece.....

I like mine, but as you've demonstrated, not for everyone.

Just curious, what facing did you try?

·
Registered
179 Posts
105 facing. Nick at Lakey said they will be coming out with a gold plated version which will play a little warmer. They will have it in about a month.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I play a #9, which is a .126" (3.2mm) opening. From your description of the piece, I strongly suspect the playing characteristics are the similar, but the wider tip opening allows more violent reed flapping and gives me the qualities I seek....

Had not heard about the gold plated.... Are these gold plated aluminum or gold plated brass (or something else)? I have not played the brass pieces, but other posters have indicated that they are warmer than the aluminum.

-DH

·
Registered
179 Posts
He said they would be gold plated aluminum. I dropped down to 105 for better control and I am getting cleaner articulation. There is less baffle on this design than I would normally use so I suspect that is where I am lacking the power. Anyway, it is a good enough piece just not for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts