Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference in the time required to repad an alto as opposed to time needed to repad a tenor?

I would imagine the tenor would take a little more time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
not really they have the same amount of keys and therefore pads, if anything, the tenor would be quicker though, cos the alto is smaller, fiddlier, the springs are smaller and easier to use and the list goes on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
3,286 Posts
I could see where a tenor might be easier to adjust and straighten the keys because the are larger and easier to bend, but I woulden't say a bari is easier than a tenor, but a soprano is the hardest of them all.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I agree that a tenor is actually quicker than an alto. It is possible to get a greater range of suitable tools around the keys for tweaking alignment and making adjustments. Also bigger keys means easier leverage for bending, as HF suggests.

Baritones take longer because they re so clumsy to move about and around.

Sopranos take longer because they re so fiddly. On an alto or tenor a simple bend may be carried out with a little pressure from a thumb. The same bend on a soprano may need special tools, and/or or removal of keys for access.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
3,286 Posts
I agree that a tenor is actually quicker than an alto. It is possible to get a greater range of suitable tools around the keys for tweaking alignment and making adjustments. Also bigger keys means easier leverage for bending, as HF suggests.
You would think that a tenor rebuild would be cheaper.

Sopranos take longer because they re so fiddly. On an alto or tenor a simple bend may be carried out with a little pressure from a thumb. The same bend on a soprano may need special tools, and/or or removal of keys for access.
And Sopranos should be more then alto and tenor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts