Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a Meyer Alto mpc of tip opening about 0.073". That suits me well.

I intend to buy a same model of Meyer Tenor mpc. I am not sure the tenor tip opening that would suit me.

Is there a handy formula or ratio that I can translate alto tip opening to tenor tip opening?

Much thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
The numbering system--though not always accurate with the facing of each piece--is the easiest basis for comparison. If you use a Meyer 7 on alto try around a Meyer 7 on tenor. You may end up a little more open on tenor, but the same # piece is a good place to start.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
The only place where this doesn't apply is Selmer mouthpieces. Paul Coats wrote an article about this and I agree with him...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'll third the motion. I use a .050 on soprano (I hardly ever play it, and frankly I wouldn't want anyone to hear me playing it), a .075 on alto, and a .095 on tenor.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I use a 0.65 on soprano, 0.80 on alto (although I could use a larger tip opening), and .117 on tenor. The key for me is not just the tip opening but the overall design of the mpc.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
tomsch said:
I use a 0.65 on soprano, 0.80 on alto (although I could use a larger tip opening), and .117 on tenor. The key for me is not just the tip opening but the overall design of the mpc.
This is very true. Notice that Tomsch uses a higher baffle piece on his tenor than the other two horns. Higher baffles need larger tip sizes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
J.Max said:
This is very true. Notice that Tomsch uses a higher baffle piece on his tenor than the other two horns. Higher baffles need larger tip sizes.

Are you sure? Unless his alto piece does not have as much baffle as my old instructor's RPC-B (for tenor) that is probably his highest baffled piece.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts