Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have an SML Rev D alto saxophone, with serial number 14XXX which I think makes it a 1955 model. It received an overhaul before I bought it, so all the pads, cork and so on are still in great condition. It plays great and has no damage apart from cosmetic damage, such as minor scratches on the lacquer and a slightly dented brace on the base of the saxophone. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on the value of this saxophone? I paid 3850AUD with shipping, and I'm curious to know if I got a good deal, and for future reference if I ever want to upgrade. Thanks in advance :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,826 Posts
Well, you pays around €2400 which is the proper amount of money for a great saxophone like yours BUT would be consistent with a near mint example coming from a reputable shop with a fresh overhaul with top brand pads.

It doesn’t look like your horn falls exactly in this category.

So you have a good horn. Saxophones tend to cost a bit more in Australia then they cost in other parts of the world and for sure an SML which I imagine is rare over there.

So, be happy and don’t ask yourself too many questions, nothing good will come from doubting what you’ve already done. Question about price should have been asked before. After the facts it can only fee buyer’s remorse. Be happy and Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
Hi there,
I have an SML Rev D alto saxophone, with serial number 14XXX which I think makes it a 1955 model. It received an overhaul before I bought it, so all the pads, cork and so on are still in great condition. It plays great and has no damage apart from cosmetic damage, such as minor scratches on the lacquer and a slightly dented brace on the base of the saxophone. I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on the value of this saxophone? I paid 3850AUD with shipping, and I'm curious to know if I got a good deal, and for future reference if I ever want to upgrade. Thanks in advance :)
That’s on the higher side but depending on condition, finish, who did the overhaul, how the horn plays and how long you keep it for will all effect value.
I bought my 14xxx silver plate Rev d 3 years ago for $1700 on eBay, needing overhaul, but I’ve seen a few around the 3000-3500 mark lately.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Saxophones tend to cost a bit more in Australia then they cost in other parts of the world and for sure an SML which I imagine is rare over there.
Saxophones cost more in Australia than they do in the USA, certainly — but they cost significantly more in the UK and the EU than they do in Australia. AU$3850 is around US$2650 at current exchange rates.

There aren't that many SMLs in Australia, but I still wouldn't call them rare. Ron Cook in Canberra got his SML alto for a similar price to Benny's — but he was lucky. Factor in $800 plus for a full repad (unles you do you own work, which I don't) and that brings the price up considerably, as do the rip-off prices the Seppoes charge for freight and "insurance". Hell, you'd pay a lot more for a Selmer Mk VI alto — and an SML is just about as good a horn as a Mk VI, even a 5-digit one. (There's a 5-digit Mk VI alto for sale right now for AU$7,900. The same shop has a 1968 SML Gold Medal tenor for AU$4,800.)

As Benny says, the price you paid for it was on the higher side, but if it does the bizz for you, and gives no trouble, it's well worth it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,826 Posts
I think I said the same thing that this horn overshot somewhat the higher end of the spectrum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your response, I'm definitely happy with the sax. There were some things i didn't like initially like, like the ergonomics. But now I'm used to that, and I'm loving the rich tone it makes, unlike a lot of new saxophones i tried which were too bright. Was just curious what others estimated the value of a well kept sml from the era, because it's a bit hard to find information about them, just so I know what it could go for it I find my next dream sax and want an upgrade. Thanks agan :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. It definitely gets the job done, and the overhaul it received was done by a reputable repairman, so I think the price checks out. It's great fun to play, but I think I may switch it out for a Selmer MkVI if one comes around that I like in favour of the ergonomics. I just find it a bit hard to get into a comfortable position to play the sml, but honestly I may get someone to adjust some of the troublesome keys because it just sounds too good. Thanks again for your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts