Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all!!!

I am writing you because I have some sax`s and one of them is the Alto Sax Keilwerth Shadow, boughjt from about 2,5 years....

He worked well 1 year, but I had some problems with him, and then I took it for repair... The men asked me if I want to setup all the Sax and I accepted.

So after that, the keys get stucked (right hand) after 5 min of playing... The men who repaired the sax told me to change from black to normal pads, but.... This sax worked well before why he doens`t work now?

Normally they only repair Selmers, I don`t know if he`s abble to do it on Shadow because mechanic is different....

So I have a shadow that I cannot use him..... For last 6 months!!!!!!

Can anybody help me with this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
984 Posts
it is likely that they over swedged the keys and they are binding.... people try to take out ALL play, which is dumb, there needs to be some play...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank`s from your quickly response.... but I don`t if I understood well what are you saying....

Solution is.... get technical support from another place?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,531 Posts
Take it back to your tech. Talk to the tech, demonstrate the problem.

If the tech can work well on Selmers, the J-K should be no great challenge - it's just another saxophone. The only really different may be knowing how to adjust/level the tone holes - but that's not the issue here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you G... Just to say that I took it back to my tech from about 3 times to see specific keys, but eith time others have same problem!!!!!!!!!!. (I don`t believe that he is the guy who repairs my sax, but his partner).... The solution that he gave was swap the pads for selmer pads....
The only thing is that I believe in his work, cause he was a Selmer tech some years, and last 10 years he worked with 4 Selmers that I have and never had a problem with that.

Probably I will visit him, to say.... " that`s my last chance here if you don`t know how to fix him I will need to go to another tech".... but I don`t want to do that....

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
984 Posts
when you say selmer tech do you mean he worked at selmer? the worst overhaul i have ever seen was done by someone currently employed byt the selmer factory in thier Rand D department, and it was bad bad bad...

the problem is not the pads... when a horn is overhauled, the tech should look to take out the end play between keys (lateral movement side to side) it is likely they went to far with this, and its too tight as as you play and it heats up a little, it binds on the mechanism.

if you have a mechanical problem and they say you need to change out the pads, i would recommend you put the horn in the case walk out and find someone else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help. I think I should say that before the pads worked fine, but after the new setup, never more I was abble to play with Shadow...

They were cleaned 2 times with alcool....

·
33,531 Posts
Hold your horn a little closer to your keyboard, it's difficult to determine whether it's your mechanism or pads that are at fault.

Failing that, take it back to the technician - or find another.

·
33,531 Posts
That's not a sticky pad issue.

Have you any key lube?

·
2,547 Posts
Yes, after some minutes without playng the keys stop moving
OK, now when you say "the keys stop moving" - do they stay down? If so, do they pop up smartly when you lift them a bit, and go down again just as easily...or are they noticeably stiff to move?

Regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sometimes they stay down for some seconds and then they go down just as easily

King Regards

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But some of them seems to appears being grude, staying down, with more utilization...... they are stiff to move... I don`t know if I am explaining correctly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The key stays down, and some seconds after being of pressure, they open again.,... and all times the same

·
2,547 Posts
The key stays down, and some seconds after being of pressure, they open again.,... and all times the same
OK, so - when you press the keys down they sometimes stay down...but after a few seconds they open again.
This would be typical sticky pad behaviour. If the keys were stiff to move - either on their way down or on their way up - then this would point to a mechanical problem...such as a bit of grit in the key barrels or a bent key.

Regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank`s for your prompty help. So you think that I have a problem with pads, correctly? The only question is why this happened only after the tech made a new Setup Shadow? The first shadows don`t the black pads... So do you think I should change ppads for normal one and everything will be working fine?

King Regards

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dr. G, here with me I don`t have any, but I have grease... but I believe that they are ok... but I can try it. Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing I note too is when I pressure directly the key, she became more dificult to open... I listen a "tssshhhhcccccc"..... But they where cleaned two times witrh alcool...They say, and I don`t know if it is true, that this pads are from diferent leather....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts