Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was loitering in the general discussion forum. Boy! The way some of them write you would think that the alto sax would be the lowest class of sax to buy. It seems to have been a good choice for Charlie Parker. Are alto saxists considered to be the lowest class of sax players?

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
No way. I'd rather play alto than any of the others (except for sop on ballads). Some guys think tenor is more 'manly', but that's BS. IMHO alto is THE instrument for jazz. Tenor is for blooze.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
hakukani said:
No way. I'd rather play alto than any of the others (except for sop on ballads). Some guys think tenor is more 'manly', but that's BS. IMHO alto is THE instrument for jazz. Tenor is for blooze.
Oh, I thought you said Booze. . . . that's also true.:D

·
Registered
307 Posts
I beat my Wife.
I kick my Dog.
I try to seduce my friend's Wife.
I steal whenever I can.
I cheat at cards, Taxes, tickets.
I smoke 3 packs of Cigs a day.
I drink until I pass-out or Puke all over my house.
I knock-down sweet old Ladies if they get in my way.

I can't help being all those things...sniff..Sob..I'm an Alto Sax Player

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
It's all some kind of elitist BS. Largely through circumstance, somebody ended up favoring one horn over the other and feels a need to try to justify why their horn is better. Screw that crap. It's the same with the "I'm a tenor/alto/bari player" crap. Forget that stuff. I'm a sax player. I play the saxophone. I play alto, tenor, soprano, bari, nino, whatever. If it's a sax and you put it in front of me, I'll play it. I like the saxophone. I enjoy playing tenor just as much as alto as much as bari. Why do I need to try to prop one up over the other. People who claim to play the saxophone but feel to need to attack a certain sax are just spouting BS in order for them to in some way feel better about what sax they chose. Tenor's better, alto sucks. Oops, I forgot about Bird and Cannonball. Alto rules, tenor sucks. Oops, I forgot about Trane and Dex. All the saxes are valid. There's no need for the sophomoric antics of pitting one against the other.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hakukani said:
Well let's see. Lester Young, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Sonny Still, Stanley Turrentine, Arnette Cobb, Gene Ammons, Eddie "Lock Jaw" Davis, etc. BLOOZE?

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Let me rephrase. FOR ME alto is the instrument for jazz. Tenor is for Blooze.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Carbs said:
Tenor is the horn you play if you want girls.
Alto is the one you play if you don't.

:)
Don't tell that my ex, or my ex-girlfriends---or Ms. hakukani. She prefers my alto playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Agent27 said:
It's all some kind of elitist BS. Largely through circumstance, somebody ended up favoring one horn over the other and feels a need to try to justify why their horn is better. Screw that crap. It's the same with the "I'm a tenor/alto/bari player" crap. Forget that stuff. I'm a sax player. I play the saxophone. I play alto, tenor, soprano, bari, nino, whatever. If it's a sax and you put it in front of me, I'll play it. I like the saxophone. I enjoy playing tenor just as much as alto as much as bari. Why do I need to try to prop one up over the other. People who claim to play the saxophone but feel to need to attack a certain sax are just spouting BS in order for them to in some way feel better about what sax they chose. Tenor's better, alto sucks. Oops, I forgot about Bird and Cannonball. Alto rules, tenor sucks. Oops, I forgot about Trane and Dex. All the saxes are valid. There's no need for the sophomoric antics of pitting one against the other.
Easy killer. Some people just like one better than the others. I like the tenor best... there, I said it. I started on alto, and my favorite single horn is my emotional favorite, grandpa's true-tone alto. But, I hardly play it cause I feel that I can express myself more truly on tenor. I like to play bari next best, it's rough-and-husky voice makes me feel dirty. But alto, other than for a few tunes where it just "fits", I just don't tend to pick it up or listen to alto players much. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think the core of the issue for me perhaps is that the alto is in the same frequency range as my wife's voice, which while I love the sound and would never exclude it from my life, I do have a tendency to not pay attention to.

Pete

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
wainsworth said:
I was loitering in the general discussion forum. Boy! The way some of them write you would think that the alto sax would be the lowest class of sax to buy.
Where did you get that idea? On a personal level, I play the entire sax family, but consider myself a Tenorman first and foremost.

Having said that, my absolute favorite saxophonist of all time was an Altoman (yes, Bird), and many of my top ten as well.

The idea of playing one and only one of the sax family, although not at all uncommon, is a disheartening prospect in my mind. Each is like a beloved family member to me, and 100% worthy in their own right.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Total Bs

Musicianship totally transcends the instrument it is played on!!! Listen to Bird, Cannonball, Woods, etc. This goes or jazz, blues, classical, funk, or ANY kind of music! Someone might see this thread, and BELIEVE IT!

·
Registered
647 Posts
SactoPete said:
I think the core of the issue for me perhaps is that the alto is in the same frequency range as my wife's voice, which while I love the sound and would never exclude it from my life, I do have a tendency to not pay attention to.

Pete
Har, har, har!!!:D :D :D You just made my day!

·
Registered
647 Posts
asaxman said:
Musicianship totally transcends the instrument it is played on!!! Listen to Bird, Cannonball, Woods, etc. This goes or jazz, blues, classical, funk, or ANY kind of music! Someone might see this thread, and BELIEVE IT!
:salute: :salute: :salute:

·
Registered
259 Posts
IMHO, the alto is perhaps the most important sax, in particular in wind ensembles or big bands. And there is still more classical literature written for alto than the others combined. SO...to say alto players are the lowest class is totally inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My oldest daughter switched to tenor after we found out for the combined spring concert there would be 13 altos. My daughter was the only tenor. If they would have let my daughter's elementary school have it's own spring concert there would have been 4 altos. Xmas concert was just my daughter's school. Nice amount of kids. Small balanced band. Spring concert combines 3 schools. Too many high instruments. Too many instruments period!!!!So she switched to tenor to be unique. It worked as she even won a music foundation sholarship on tenor. I love alto but sometimes prefer playing the other saxes just to show people other saxes exist(escpially in church). Altos are everywhere!!!!LOL

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,342 Posts
wainsworth said:
I was loitering in the general discussion forum. Boy! The way some of them write you would think that the alto sax would be the lowest class of sax to buy. It seems to have been a good choice for Charlie Parker. Are alto saxists considered to be the lowest class of sax players?
I never got that vibe? But my wife will be the first to tell you how insensitive I am.

Most people start on alto due to cost and availability, and there are more poor student altos out there because of that. Maybe thats part of any real or imagined snobery.

I prefer playing Tenor, but in community band I play lead alto as it gets the pick of the melodies while the tenor gets to mostly mirror the Tuba part:(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
This is a really absurd thread! Just "snip" it!

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I love Tenor, but I play lead Alto in my Church Orchestra (looking for any opprutnity to switch). Alto is a great horn, I love listening to Cannonball Adderly's the work song, more than I like listening to any of Tranes music. But Alto's are a dime a dozen. My high school band had close to 20 of them my freshman year, and 3 tenors. Though they get the melody in Classical music alot, in Jazz the best horn by far is the 1st Tenor spot. More solo's, better melodys. And its more manily.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts