Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lazarro alto sax I got 4 years ago for $250. I haven’t played it much but I took it out the other day and really enjoyed my practice session. The sound is really nice and addictive and the notes slot well all up and down the horn using the stock mouthpiece. The down side is the key work is horrible. Well maybe not horribel it works fine just bad. This video is an accurate representation of sound.

I would describe it as feeling like a light weight horn with a quick punchy sound. The pro horns I have tried are nice but are not punchy and light feeling. They are more dark and solid sounding. It';s hard to explain. If you watch this attachhed video you might get a better feel. What i would like to do is find a pro horn with better key work that sounds and respondsl like this one. It really is a fun horn.

https://youtu.be/JInkM92QqV8

If you have any thoughts please let me know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
I have a Lazarro alto sax I got 4 years ago for $250. I haven’t played it much but I took it out the other day and really enjoyed my practice session. The sound is really nice and addictive and the notes slot well all up and down the horn using the stock mouthpiece. The down side is the key work is horrible. Well maybe not horribel it works fine just bad. This video is an accurate representation of sound.

I would describe it as feeling like a light weight horn with a quick punchy sound. The pro horns I have tried are nice but are not punchy and light feeling. They are more dark and solid sounding. It';s hard to explain. If you watch this attachhed video you might get a better feel. What i would like to do is find a pro horn with better key work that sounds and respondsl like this one. It really is a fun horn.

Which pro horns have you tried that didn’t work?

Were you trying them with the same mouthpiece?

Are you open to vintage horns?

G’luck in your quest.

·
Registered
101 Posts

I've owned pro level altos from Yamaha (62 and 82Z), Yanagisawa (AWO20) and Selmer (Ref 54). I'd say both the Yamahas were easily the 'bright and punchy'-iest ones out of that lot.

Changing from a Lazarro to a pro level is quite a step up. If you are looking to buy new, do you have any retailers who do rent to buy schemes on pro level instruments and that allow you to swap saxes and the rental still goes towards the final payment? (I know a great place in the UK but not sure where you are).

If you didn't say you were looking for a pro level horn my suggestion would have been something from the student Yamaha range with a mouthpiece upgrade - I've played on a few and they are easy blowers and keywork is solid.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Conn 6M. Nothing projects like a 6M. The keywork is amongst the best ever made. Fantastic intonation, easy responding altissimo (I used to go up to F above the normal F, though I can't do that any more). Easy to play from whisper quiet to the loudest thing in a 16 piece big band. No intonation problems with any normal mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Conn 6M. Nothing projects like a 6M. The keywork is amongst the best ever made. Fantastic intonation, easy responding altissimo (I used to go up to F above the normal F, though I can't do that any more). Easy to play from whisper quiet to the loudest thing in a 16 piece big band. No intonation problems with any normal mouthpiece.
Thanks Turf. I was researching these. I notice the prices ranges vary wildly for them so I decided to hold off and make sure I knew what I was doing! What has been your experience with the best / worst years? Also, I'm a bit unsure about the double socket neck- seems like an odd design. I've seen prcies from $800 to over much more. What kind would you get?

I've been playing this Lazarro alto and it is really fun. It sounds different than any pro horn I know of. The thing the popped into my mind was remembering a Selmer rep saying they could not make the same metal anymore due to enviormantal laws or something like that. Then I thought in China they can do what ever they want. Maybe the metal is better? Kinda far fetched but you never know. What did you think of the lazarro sound?

·
Premium Member
15,486 Posts
I think you sound great on your horn. Beautiful playing and a beautiful sound.
The Conn 6m’s are definitely wonderful vintage horns! Couldn’t recommend them any more if you’re looking for a big, open, warm sound.

I didn’t see how high you went up on the horn, but are the palm keys in tune? I always worry about these inexpensive horns because I had a couple where the palm keys were so sharp, it was crazy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
The thing the popped into my mind was remembering a Selmer rep saying they could not make the same metal anymore due to enviormantal laws or something like that. Then I thought in China they can do what ever they want. Maybe the metal is better? Kinda far fetched but you never know.
That discussion has been run to ground several times. There are much more noxious alloys being made these days - whatever alloy is desired can be made. Processing methods can be tailored to need as well.

If you are looking for the Conn sound in an alto, check out Borgani or Rampone & Cazzani. Both Italian manufacturers have successfully embraced the Conn core sound in their palette.

On the other hand, have you considered having your Lazarro alto rebuilt to correct the key work fit and function?

Good luck with your quest.

·
Banned
652 Posts

Those china cheapos always look good, and sometimes even sound good. But they fall apart very fast as they are made from from 3rd rate materials by ant colony factory workers rather than by craftsmen, according to specs that have whittled down the cost by fractions of cents, to as low as they can get it without it falling apart as soon as the customer picks it up. They are slightly better than they used to be. The first Chinese saxophones in the early 2000's literally did not play. You were lucky to get half the notes out. Now they play, but within a year they are in pieces, or, you are taking it to the shop weekly to a frustrated tech tired of readjsting it back to temporary playability. If you want a cheap horn that actually lasts, look for something made in Taiwan. Their horns play well and actually last, and are still a bargain.

·
Banned
652 Posts

Why did you link to a Lazarro advertising video? Are you selling these abominations or something?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Thanks Turf. I was researching these. I notice the prices ranges vary wildly for them so I decided to hold off and make sure I knew what I was doing! What has been your experience with the best / worst years? Also, I'm a bit unsure about the double socket neck- seems like an odd design. I've seen prcies from $800 to over much more. What kind would you get?
Well, I've been playing the same 6M since 1978 so I can't speak with any degree of authority on the various years of production. The general scuttlebutt is that the best ones are the ones between when the microtuner was changed from a knurling pattern to a pattern of 20 or 30 large ribs, and the point when the rolled tone holes were discontinued. But that's scuttlebutt. What we do know is that starting some time after the rolled tone holes were discontinued, Conn went on a multi-year cost reduction program and the horns were gradually cheapened, so that a (let's say) 1965 6M feels much more flimsy and cheap than a 1946 one. The sound is probably exactly the same.

I suspect that to get a good 6M that hasn't been beat to death, in the time frame I'm talking about (in other words the ostensible "best years") would be $1500 and up. But if you get on with the horn, it could easily be the last alto you ever buy. Mine almost was the last alto I ever bought but a few years back I bought a Martin as a backup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts