Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if I could get some advice on an alto sax jazz mouthpiece. A little background about me: been playing since 4th grade, but I wouldn't really call myself advanced--intermediate at best, and that may be too generous. Anyway, I'm currently a college student (not majoring in music but taking lessons) and after focusing on classical for the first semester (playing a Vandoren Optimum AL3) the focus is now on jazz and improvisation. Long story short, my instructor wants me to get a "jazz" mouthpiece. Don't get me wrong--I completely believe that the reed, conception, breathing, tone exercises, etc. are what REALLY produce a great sound (I'm sure Cannonball could've easily rocked a Yamaha 4C), but I was thinking of trying a Meyer 5M? Any other beginner/not too crazy options you'd recommend? Not anything too extreme. I really appreciate the suggestions/advice/input and am looking forward to learning on this forum and hopefully becoming a better musician in the process.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,334 Posts
Same basic reply as the one I gave you for reeds. There is no such thing as a "jazz" mouthpiece, regardless of what some "experts" claim. Make the horn sound good and then play whatever kind of music you want to play. Besides, everyone's embouchure and tonal concepts are different, so mouthpiece advice is cheap, easy, and inaccurate.

Now, we will see a listing of everyone's favorite mouthpiece. Mine is a Brilhart Ebolin 3* - works great for me. DAVE

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any mouthpiece can be used for jazz, it's really based on how it feels to you and over all you will still sound like you no matter what mp you play on. Meyer is highly recommended for jazz. Although, I tried it before and it just wasn't for me.

·
2,382 Posts
I would consider a Meyer 5 or 6 a very good mouthpiece, flexible enough to allow good flexibility a large sound palette

BUT

they may be quite inconsistent. If you cannot try few of them you might focus on some "Meyer-like" piece like JodyJazz HR, Pillinger NYA (my personal choice) or few others that I am sure are available on that side of the pond.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Totally agree with Dave. For jazz I play a short shank C* with either RJS, Java Greens or Vandoren blue box.
But try a Meyer 5 or 6, Brilhart or even a HR Link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely take into account what you said. I'll probably still try a Meyer from WWBW just for kicks.

·
14,334 Posts
Be aware that Meyers come in several different configurations. One that is very popular is the 6M-M (meaning the tip opening is a 6 on Meyer's scale, the facing is medium and the chamber is medium-size). However, I have one of those and I don't like it AT ALL. What I DO like is Meyer's 6S-M (the S meaning it has a shorter facing). For me there is a world of difference between those two.

I also have a Meyer 7M-S (it is marked SMALL CHAMBER but I cannot see a bit of difference between the one marked SMALL and the one marked MEDIUM). It plays better than the 6M-M but not as good as the 6S-M . . . again, for me. Your results may be totally different.

Among the pieces I use for jazz playing is the vaunted classical piece, Selmer's S-80 C*. There are no rules. DAVE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts