Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

someone is selling one beaugnier sax and I wanted to know first if it was worth it and second if it is in a good price or not.

So the owner says it's in reazonable shape, that it's probably from the years 50. It's serial is 4xxx.
It's marked as

E.BEAUGNIER
MANTES PRES
PARIS

It also comes with a metal mouthiece, an old one, but I don't know the brand.

He's asking 130 dollars for it. I haven't seen the horn besides pics.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
Beaugnier is a highly-regarded maker and this could be a very fine instrument. Even if it needs a complete overhaul (new pads and everything else), 130 dollars is cheap.

However, everything depends on its condition: if is bent or badly dented, or it has been played so much that the action is worn out, then it may not be worth buying at any price.

As always, you'll get much more useful advice if you can post some photos here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
That's not an alto. That is either a tenor or a C-melody. (Others on here are more expert than me on telling the difference.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
Looks like a tenor to me; never heard of a Beaugnier C-melody, anyway.

It hasn't been run over by a car, but I still wouldn't want it. It has been played A LOT: enough to need replating, and then wear through the plating by the thumb hook again. It looks as though dents have been removed from the bow area. The neck has been pulled down.

It is a cheapened version of the 'Fabrication Artistique', having left-hand bell keys, no front F key, and fixed rather than screw-in bumper felts. (Mine is only about serial number 2xxx and it has right-hand bell keys and the other refinements mentioned.)

Anyone know anything about the mouthpiece?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eugeneherman that's not very helpfull...

I stranged the neck, but as I'm not an expert I believed the owner as he said it was an alto.

·
Registered
184 Posts
eugeneherman that's not very helpfull...

I stranged the neck, but as I'm not an expert I believed the owner as he said it was an alto.
Hey 'kreacher'......I think what eugeneherman is saying to you, in quite direct fashion, is that you should buy this horn. And he is trying to be helpful to you, whether you wish to accept this or not. Where are you going to buy a tenor sax for $130 (definitely a tenor, not an alto, no matter what the owner is telling you)?

Beaugnier is a well respected sax maker, although this may not be one of its premier models. If you are looking for an alto sax, do not buy this. But if you do buy, prepare at least to probably need to replace the pads, and possibly have additional repairs done. You can always resell for what you paid if you find it will take more money repairing than you wish to spend. But, the choice is yours.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
I am with Eugene... buy it and if you don't want it, put it up for sale on the marketplace or ebay. I would like to have it. Let me know where.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I was talking to the seller, and If he doesn't sell it before I'm going to buy it this friday.

Thanks for all your help and if I buy it I'll say something more about it's condition and mouthpiece (according to him it's a jazz mpc).

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've already bought the sax. It's in need of a repad and some adjustments in the key work, but i've tried it and it plays top to bottom. It cames with a mpc that says on top super jazz and in the middle worn off it appears to say ALelandais and beneath that Paris. I already know somethings about Alelandais mpc, but not sure about this one. One thing is for sure the mpc weights as hell.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,046 Posts
Yes, Most definitely a Lelandais Super Jazz tenor mouthpiece ( I have one the same marked Robert Malerne) and a Tenor horn (not an alto whatever the seller told you) ,of a sax that I believe to have been made in the '30, which resembles closely ,with the exception of the neck and its brace, another brand, LYRIST coming from the same town (the French brands they were all there) of Mantes .
Probably a very good horn. If you don't want it I know someone who would too....... :) .

Enjoy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts