Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,293 Posts
For F what works for me is:

With the D palm key open, finger xoo/xxo plus the side Bb key. Also, the oxo/oxo plus the D pal key open works, but not as good or stable for me.

Now, for F# I use D and Eb palm keys open, and finger ooo/xxo. It is pretty solid. G is tricky. I use the F# key plus or E palm key alone, or the more traditional (if it can be said) high E (in the normal range of the saxophone, being the high E but no altissimo, played with palm keys this is). Also some player instead of high E finger high F (palm keys only, high F on normal range). For Ab go for just adding the F# key and for A open all the keys but the F# key.

Also, if you search the very good voicing advice around this Forum it can help.

Be cautious with your embouchure and warm up. Do not bite.

All the best,

JI

I'm not talking about the E in the normal range of the instrument, I'm talking about the E above that. I can get the altissimo below E and E itself very well. I'm still practicing smooth transitions between the altissimo notes themselves, but for the most part, I can play the altissimo very well. However, none of the fingerings I've found online work for me. I get altissimo notes, bust most of the notes I get out of the fingerings are C's or something, not F's. On my cheap metal mouthpiece, I can simply overblow the palm keys like I do on the tenor, but I want to be able to do it with the mouthpiece I'm using now (which is a Meyer 6 medium chamber). Can anybody either give me alternate fingerings or give me some other advice?

By the way, the fingerings I use for D through E are these -

D is simply the fork key itself (not the B key, but the one next to that).
Eb is that, plus the side C.
E is the fork key plus all three palm keys plus the side E key (next to side C and Bb).

Normally, I would just add or take away a fingering to get the next note, but I can't do that with the last fingering that I'm using.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts