Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not talking about the E in the normal range of the instrument, I'm talking about the E above that. I can get the altissimo below E and E itself very well. I'm still practicing smooth transitions between the altissimo notes themselves, but for the most part, I can play the altissimo very well. However, none of the fingerings I've found online work for me. I get altissimo notes, bust most of the notes I get out of the fingerings are C's or something, not F's. On my cheap metal mouthpiece, I can simply overblow the palm keys like I do on the tenor, but I want to be able to do it with the mouthpiece I'm using now (which is a Meyer 6 medium chamber). Can anybody either give me alternate fingerings or give me some other advice?

By the way, the fingerings I use for D through E are these -

D is simply the fork key itself (not the B key, but the one next to that).
Eb is that, plus the side C.
E is the fork key plus all three palm keys plus the side E key (next to side C and Bb).

Normally, I would just add or take away a fingering to get the next note, but I can't do that with the last fingering that I'm using.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So wait...do you want alternate fingers to the notes you're playing already? If so...

For D, do what you're doing, but add the RH E side key. It helps with intonation (if that's an issue).
For Eb, you could try oxx|xxx while adding the B spatula key and low C key.
For E, try oxo|oxo with the Eb pinky key as well as the Eb palm key. Or, another one is the "flute" fingering, being xxo|xxo plus the RH Eb key.

When it comes to this, it's mostly trial and error to see what fits your horn best. I'm sorry if this information wasn't what you were seeking :mrgreen:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nevermind, I see now that you were seeking higher tones..oops :)

Anyway...

For F, try xox|xox with the RH Eb key.

As for F# and G, I haven't found any RELIABLE fingerings - for me. And the last thing I want to do is give you faulty advice...sorry if I wasn't much help :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
On the Alto and Tenor, the D palm fingering overblows to Altissimo B and the palm Eb fingering overblows accordingly to Altissimo C and the palm E fingering overblows accordingly to Altissimo C# and the palm F fingering overblows accordingly to Altissimo D.

Altissimo Bb is usually based on the C# with most keys open ie o o o | o o o or with an optional G key ie o o x | o o o.

This fingering also overblows to the next overtone up from Altissimo Bb which is Altissimo Eb.

The palm D and Eb and E and F fingerings also can be overblown to the next overtones from their first overtones (Altissimo B and C and C# and D) to Altissimo E and F and F# and G.

So just using the palm D, Eb, E and F key fingerings and the open C# fingering, all the Altissimo notes from Altissimo B to Altissimo G can be played.

Very simple this way and very good for speed.

The lower Altissimo notes are Altissimo A, o x x | o o o which just basically lowers the Altissimo Bb note by adding the A key ie Altissimo Bb is o o x | o o o and Altissimo A is o x x | o o o.

Altissimo Ab, x o x | x o o side C for Alto and Tenor or Front F o o o | o o o side Bb for Alto and maybe Front F o o o | o o o side C for Tenor

Altissimo G, x o x | x o o side Bb or Front F o o o | x o o side Bb for Alto and Front F o o o | o o o side Bb for Tenor

Altissimo F#, Front F o x o | o o o side Bb for Alto and Tenor.

Check out Candy Dulfers fingerings which basically correspond to the above fingerings.

Alto http://www.candydulfer.nl/pdf/ALTISSIMO FOR ALTO.pdf

Tenor http://www.candydulfer.nl/pdf/ALTISSIMO FOR TENOR.pdf

The simpler the fingerings are, the easier it is to move between them and play music with them.

With these fingerings it's possible to cover the lower Altissimo notes up to Altissimo Ab with fingerings just based on the Front F, meaning that they are easier to move between and the Altissimo A and Altissimo Bb are very similar and easy to move to and then the palm key fingerings cover Altissimo B to Altissimo G with the Altissimo Bb fingering also being used for Altissimo Eb and these fingerings are also easy to move between.

Of course there are other fingerings besides these but these are probably the easiest to move between.

Of course, how successful someone is with Altissimo and especially the higher Altissimo notes depends on the players voicing abilities, and the mouthpiece and reed and sax.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
For F what works for me is:

With the D palm key open, finger xoo/xxo plus the side Bb key. Also, the oxo/oxo plus the D pal key open works, but not as good or stable for me.

Now, for F# I use D and Eb palm keys open, and finger ooo/xxo. It is pretty solid. G is tricky. I use the F# key plus or E palm key alone, or the more traditional (if it can be said) high E (in the normal range of the saxophone, being the high E but no altissimo, played with palm keys this is). Also some player instead of high E finger high F (palm keys only, high F on normal range). For Ab go for just adding the F# key and for A open all the keys but the F# key.

Also, if you search the very good voicing advice around this Forum it can help.

Be cautious with your embouchure and warm up. Do not bite.

All the best,

JI

I'm not talking about the E in the normal range of the instrument, I'm talking about the E above that. I can get the altissimo below E and E itself very well. I'm still practicing smooth transitions between the altissimo notes themselves, but for the most part, I can play the altissimo very well. However, none of the fingerings I've found online work for me. I get altissimo notes, bust most of the notes I get out of the fingerings are C's or something, not F's. On my cheap metal mouthpiece, I can simply overblow the palm keys like I do on the tenor, but I want to be able to do it with the mouthpiece I'm using now (which is a Meyer 6 medium chamber). Can anybody either give me alternate fingerings or give me some other advice?

By the way, the fingerings I use for D through E are these -

D is simply the fork key itself (not the B key, but the one next to that).
Eb is that, plus the side C.
E is the fork key plus all three palm keys plus the side E key (next to side C and Bb).

Normally, I would just add or take away a fingering to get the next note, but I can't do that with the last fingering that I'm using.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. On my tenor, I can overblow the D and Eb key to get the E above F above. I can get an F sharp by adding fingers with the right hand. However, I can't do this on alto (unless I use a super metal mouthpiece). I'll try some of your suggestions the next chance I get. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What strength reed are you using? Also try several different fingerings. In my personal experience the fingerings that worked for everyone else didn't quite work out for me. Some of the I accidentally stumbled upon or merely modified from adjacent notes. So experiment around a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts