Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SA-II alto tends to sound a bit "thin" (though I appreciate the edge) above C3.
Trying different necks could maybe help, but which ones (apart from originals) do fit ? Ref 54, S-III ?
Any experience around ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
Alto necks have never changed. They all interchange. There will sometimes be fitting required on the tenon and the octave key. I doubt if the neck change will cure that condition - sounds more like player problems. You might look into how the way you hold your tongue and throat can influence the sound.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
dexdex, I used a Ponzol neck on my Serie II alto. It gave the sound an extra bit of body. I would not say it was a profound difference from the stock neck, but enough for me to tell the difference. I now have a JK alto but if I had to do it all over again with a Selmer II, I'd do the same thing.

BTW - I hand-picked my Serie II over the Ref alto from a nice selection of all of the current altos (and a Mark VI) at a Selmer shop because I thought the II had more fullness to the sound. If that's the case, for me at least, trading the stock II neck for the Ref neck would be taking a step backwards. Of course this is personal. You should try as many necks as you can get your hands on. Good luck.

Let us know how it all turns out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said in the SA-II owners thread, I'm a fan of the SA-II alto, and I had one in the past that was really sounding great. I sold it for some dumb reason. The one I have now is fine up to the palm keys, this is why I suspect some room for improvement with the neck.
Regarding my own competencies, no doubt I have to work on them, and the alto is the horn am the least happy with.
Thanks for your hints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts