Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently picked up a tenor. It's an 80's Selmer Bundy II with a stock mouthpiece. I grabbed a Vandoren BB 2.5 reed to try it out with and it's been working pretty good so far. I typically run Lavoz Medium Hard on Alto...does that translate directly to Tenor? I went a little softer initially because of the change in embouchure/mouthpiece size. Should I step up to a 3?

Also...what reeds do you suggest for a brighter sound? I like bright modern, fusion style tenor...that's where I want to get my tone eventually. I have a Dukoff D8 for my alto and it really rips with the Lavoz medium hard. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hard to say. My alto and tenor mouthpieces are very different, hence the reed strengths are too. But I can tell you that I play the equivalent of La Voz medium on my Dukoff D8 on alto and a Rico 2.5 on my very open (120) Berg on tenor (Vandoren runs a little harder than Rico). On a stock tenor mouthpiece, I'd probably play a 3.5-4, but I'd never actually play a stock mouthpiece on tenor. It really comes down to what feels right. I'd treat them independently and not try to relate one to the other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol...that's the mouthpiece it came with! I'm very new to tenor and wanted to try it out a bit before I invested in a new mouthpiece. I'm thinking I might just try a Metalite since they are so cheap and most likely a better playing/sounding mouthpiece than the stock Bundy one. It's interesting that you are suggesting heavier!

Also....since you brought it up...have you had any work done on your Dukoff or is it stock?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My Dukoff was stock, but I actually stopped playing it some years ago when I dropped it one too many times. These days I'm playing a much more sedate Meyer as I'm not trying to sound like Sanborn anymore but more like Cannonball.

Some swear by Metalite, but to me they are hard to play and ear-piercingly bright. Everybody is different, but my favorite tenor pieces are Berg (rubber and metal both sound great) and Dukoff because those are what my influences in the 70s and 80s played. I never cared much for Link, Rico Metalite, Vandoren, etc. I've never tried any of the super expensive pieces most seem to be playing these days.

The pros around here probably have better advice. I'm only a very experienced amateur.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Do things translate? The answer is maybe?

ON tenor, I play a metal V16 T6 large chamber, but on alto I play a Rovner Wilkerson T6.

One is (what I would call) full and lush (tenor), the other has a baffle and is (what I would call) more cutting. I use Vandoren Java Red 3m on alto, 2.5 on tenor.

And yet, I find that my sounds are similar on both, despite he different mpcs and reed strength. I don't think any particular reed is going to makle it brighters, but a different strength *paired with a mpc*. What piece are you playing on tenor?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,415 Posts
The reed you play on any instrument depends on the mouthpiece and your abilities. You shouldn't 'step up' in reed strength unless you need to, and you'll know when that happens.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Metalites has a baffle for sure but are not ear-piercingly bright. An M7 might be a good short term investment, with say a Rico Royal 2.5 or Java/V16 .5. If you don't even want to spend that much, stick to the either BB 2.5 or perhaps a Java 3 on the stock for another month or two. Probably the stock Bundy is not a great mouthpiece, but if it speaks over the range of the horn your must be ok. I would not jump to a high priced piece for quite a while yet. Since you like your Dukoff alto piece, you might keep your eyes open for a a Vandoren Jumbo Java.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts