Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) I was wondering which might be the best intonation and tone-wise, as well as keywork. I know this isn't very specific, but could you tell me which would be best for playing in a high school jazz band?

·
Registered
494 Posts
help yourself and try a yamaha custom Z. It's great for jazz.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,665 Posts
Each to his own, but since when is Yami Z a jazz horn?

The only horn that has earned that reputation is the King Super 20, my friends!

In fact, among the horns that cstrkd12343 (this username is very Chinese by the way) listed, the 76 and 67R have a jazziest sound as they are modelled after the MK6 and have the vintage sound that you hear often in jazz. Then next would be the JK. I have played Yami and Yani horns before, and their sounds are hardly jazz (bright, thin, modern).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,305 Posts
I don't believe there are "jazz" saxophones and "legit" saxophones. There are "good" saxophones and "not-so-good" saxophones. Once a player finds a good saxophone, then he/she can play any kind of music he/she wants to push through it. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
I heard a young guy playing a Yamaha Z alto in our local big band last night, and it sounded great. I don't know of a single horn that couldn't be used in any situation by a good player.

·
2,665 Posts
Dave, Morry, and Saxyacoustician -

I cannot agree with what you have said. The reason I wrote my response was that Naturecolor used the phrase "good for jazz". By that, did he mean that the P Mauriat, JK, and Yani are not good for it - or any other kind of music?

Of course not!

·
2,665 Posts
CORRECTION: I meant to say "I cannot agree MORE with what you have said."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was kind of leaning toward the mauriat system 76.

By the way, Yellowhornblower,You said my username was very chinese. It is not chinese at all. I live in fresno, ca and i am definitely not chinese;)

·
2,665 Posts
In mainland (red) China, many persons have email addresses that look like your username, i.e., they have a lot of digits and letter combinations that have no meanings - none whatsoever!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yellowhornblower,
WHy are you picking one of your brothers? seems like your CHinese as well. anyways, there were flaws in my speech... sigh.. I'm just saying the Z is great because I've heard lots of people sounding great on it when playing Jazz, and yes perhaps better than others excpet some sixes(to my preferences and taste), which are more expensive to acquire for a high school player Not that I'm belittling any other brand. Just a suggestion.
-Nate

·
2,665 Posts
Nate -

Peace, mate! I repeat: each to his own! Or, one man's ceiling is another's floor.

I am not Chinese, and I am not picking on anyone here; it was just an observation how a nickname can look peculiar. Mine, for instance, has been said to be politically incorrect.

Blow on!

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Mauriat. Patterned after the Mark VI and vintage horns. Second only to the Super 20 as a genuine jazz horn. Give me a break. Yellowhornblower - whoever he may be, is selling (or was at the time of his reply to the post) a Mauriat. Think this might color his remarks? (One wonders why he is selling his if these are all he claims). And even if not, can't we lighten up with such empirical statements?

By the way, I have never played a System 76. I played the Mauriat version that first came out with the rolled tone holes, etc. Never played a tenor that I could find nothing to like about, but this one came close. Some people like them, that's for sure, and I'm glad they do and happy they have settled on a horn they like. I like Borgani tenors, many think they are a jive marketing mediocre high priced hype. Everyone is different in what they hear and like. But to come on with the such insistence that a Taiwanesese made horn is second in jazz only to the Super 20? Puh-leeze.

·
2,665 Posts
Just to be on the fair side, let me clarify that I have NEVER said that the 76, or any other P Mauriat horn, is second to the Super 20 as a jazz horn, OK?

In fact, can any other horn, except for an exceptionally good MK6 (bear in mind that not all MK6's are good) may come near the Super 20. Have I played them, you may ask? Yes, I have - and still own them, too!

Is the Super 20 a horn to beat in jazz scenes? The consensus on this forum says yes!

But, as it has been said here, it is not the horn that determines the music; it is you, the player, Leon!

I did not make my comment to help with the sale of my black pearl tenor; rather, it was a response to Naturecolor's claim that the Yami was good for jazz and, therefore, the other horns in question, namely the P Mauriat, Yani, and JK, were not! That is why I brought up the Super 20, you see!?

Do I like the black pearl? No, I don't; I LOVE it! I have written a glowing review of it on PM's site and still stand by every word in it!

So, why do I sell it (it is sold by the way)? As I said in my post, I am moving and needs some dough! As much I adore this horn, I am not some money-rich, but poorly-blowing horn player. So, I CANNOT afford to keep or buy all the horns I want or like! This, I believe, is something many SOTW members face, so I am not alone here!

Perhaps you have some chip on your shoulder, Leon? As for myself, I have got no beef with you, mate! BUT, if you want to take this issue further, BRING IT ON!

Just a caveat (it means a warning in Latin, lest you don't know, Leon): Think twice before picking a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel!

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
No, I don't want to fight about this or anything else. I'm really not like that. Normally I don't even respond to posts that rub me the wrong way but sometimes, when empirical statements are made about subjects that are, after all, purely subjective.... anyway, nothing personal, we all have our moments of impulsiveness and lapsed judgement. If you had just said In My Opinion somewhere along the way, I probably wouldn't have reacted the way I did. You sound like a younger guy. I'm old and cranky.

·
2,665 Posts
Peace, y'all!

P.S. Should I put IMO there? ;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts