Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my buescher alto 201xxx which has a neck with a 1 stamped on it,that the neck with this horn is shorter than a neck that I have with a buescher alto 171xxx. Also have a Aristcrat 346xxx which has a neck that matches the length more or less of the earlier 171XXX horn. Nothing stamped on these 2 necks

I think this particular neck may have been shortened at some point, but was curious if there is a thread or if someone has a response on physical characteristics, specifically the lengths, of the necks that buescher made and whether the length of the necks varied through the years

I have seen some of the discussion on the tonal qualities of the necks but have not seen anything on measurement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had two tt altos - 225xxx and 72xxx. The 225xxx had a 1 neck and the 72xxx had nothing stamped on its neck. 72xxx neck was shorter nearly 10mm! and it was impossiple to play on 72xxx sax in tune - the lows were VERy high (30-40cent) even with the mpc at the tip of the neck. I tried it with vandoren a27, selmer soloist and at last rico graftonite a3,a5 - the same story. There were also some other big problems with intonation. So I sold it..
I think the neck on that silver 72xxx was not altered, it had a rim at the tip.
The 225xxx and two more tt altos that I tried (235xxx, 16xxxx) were very good. And their necks were like 225xxx.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts