Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a case designed to carry an Alto AND Tenor at the same time? I did some searches but could only find cases setup to carry either an Alto or Tenor along side a sop, but none built to do an Alto/Tenor set. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
yes, and although they exist they are only (perhaps) of any practical use for those who are touring travelling with a band in their own bus while on a tour but for any other purpose they are useless or even dangerous as some people point out in the other thread.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
yes, and although they exist they are only (perhaps) of any practical use for those who are touring travelling with a band in their own bus while on a tour but for any other purpose they are useless or even dangerous as some people point out in the other thread.
Even then, they would be more awkward than two separate cases, although it may be marginally useful on tour if they are both in a flight case (provided there is a road crew to move it around and you never need to carry the horns anywhere yourself, e.g. jam sessions or to practise in the hotel)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
yes, I thought so too, but sometimes you read about touring musicians wanting to have everything in one case. Also such a huge case would be of no practical use on stage.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Guess you guys got a point. It's just that I'm expecting delivery my Tenor sometimes next week,... and when the thought of me carrying two cases to school hit me, I kinda went into "Oh-Oh" mode and started searching. I actually suspected the case would be rather large,... but I see the Cello crowd handling things with little problems, and I figured the case would smaller than that. Anyway, thanks again guys for the education and the other thread asking the same question. Funny,... when I did the SOTW search that thread didn't show up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Years ago, I had a special case made for alto, straight soprano, and clarinet. That was great! But then I had to schlep it all over Sacramento at one of their Memorial Day Weekend Jazz Jubilees. Not so great . . . both arms (trading off carrying this monster) were shot when I reached the next set - and I was a healthy guy at that time (still am, but much older). Now I carry the three horns in separate cases (the clarinet in a small Yamaha case inside a bag with stand, pegs, and accessories) and the three separate cases are MUCH easier to carry, plus they store easily in small car trunks or off stage.

I read in the other threads linked above about jisley's large two-horn case being tossed 15 feet by airline personnel and surviving. I think that survival was pure luck. A saxophone taking that much force is just as likely to collapse on itself from the force of gravity - no case will save the horn(s) in many instances like jisley described. I sure wouldn't want that to happen a second time. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
There have been other threads about this topic in addition the the one Pete pointed out. I have an anvil case that will hold up to five instruments (1 or 2 tenors, 1 or 2 altos, plus soprano, flutes and supplies. Luckily "I" don't have to move it! It's great to have on stage, I put my stands on it and don't have to bend to change horns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts