Sax on the Web Forum banner

Alto Mouthpiece Selmer S80 C*

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  asaxman 
I would also suggest an Optimum AL3 over a C*. The C*'s are great mouthpieces but I've had bad luck with inconsistency. AL3's are much more consistent in my experience and are very VERY similar in terms of sound. I think they feel different but they're similar in both price and sound. Optimum i think is like $10-$15 cheaper but it's not that different.

That said, if you do get a good C* they are good mouthpieces. Most non-pro's i know just use a standard selmer two screw non inverted lig with them. Overall though, bar their inconsistency they are good, probably even great, mouthpieces especially if you have a non professional horn. The only other thing I would have to say is you probably need to move up to a 3 reed if you're intending for classical. That's a probably not a definite. If you still get a sound and response you like then no worries about upping the reed.

Also, don't get confused by the "classical" labeling as many people have used it for jazz so don't be discouraged by that unless you try it and it still doesn't work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.