Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I need your suggestion about Selmer S80 C* Alto sax mpc.

1.is it a good mouthpiece?
2. Is this mpc came with Ligature?
3. If Not, Which ligature will suited best for this mpc?

I'm newbee in playing sax, I only have selmer BundyII with yamaha 4C and robert vinson ligature, Vendoren 2.5.

It is hard to find it in Indonesia, But my sister live in Sydney, so she wants to give present for me. A new Mouthpiece I said.

Thanks Guys,

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
an excellent first upgrade mouthpiece, just use your lig until you get a chance to test out different ligs on the c*

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
I've had one for a week after starting on a Rico B5. I really like it, even though it's a classical piece (so I'm told) I found it opened up my tone a lot. Also on the b5 I struggled to get down to low Bb and couldn't go over high D.

Now the lows shake the room and I'm up to f on a good day! I did find I needed to go up to 2 1/2's though as it was a bit freer blowing and I needed a bit more resistance.

My new teacher has me doing overtones and I couldn't do that at all on the b5

I'd get one again

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
A S80 is a great mouthpiece, something that you can use for many years. I would use your lig. for now though. Or even a Rubber Band works very well.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The S80C* is a great mouthpiece, as has been mentioned above. It's a very common "step-up" mouthpiece, and is used by many advanced students and some professionals (although more often classical players). Still, I've always found it to be a very versatile mouthpiece and use it as my primary one for all styles of playing.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I find the Selmers inconsistent. You need to try several to get a good one. I think a Vandoren Optimum would be a better choice for the same price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would also suggest an Optimum AL3 over a C*. The C*'s are great mouthpieces but I've had bad luck with inconsistency. AL3's are much more consistent in my experience and are very VERY similar in terms of sound. I think they feel different but they're similar in both price and sound. Optimum i think is like $10-$15 cheaper but it's not that different.

That said, if you do get a good C* they are good mouthpieces. Most non-pro's i know just use a standard selmer two screw non inverted lig with them. Overall though, bar their inconsistency they are good, probably even great, mouthpieces especially if you have a non professional horn. The only other thing I would have to say is you probably need to move up to a 3 reed if you're intending for classical. That's a probably not a definite. If you still get a sound and response you like then no worries about upping the reed.

Also, don't get confused by the "classical" labeling as many people have used it for jazz so don't be discouraged by that unless you try it and it still doesn't work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
Surprisingly (given the reputation of being a starter classical piece and the practice of including those with may cheap horns) it is a very good mouthpiece ! I find that you can play well, be in control of the reed, and get used to it very quickly and when it comes to sound on a alto they are difficult to beat! Yes there are more specialized pieces but a very good, cheap allrounder.

·
Registered
241 Posts
it's a good piece I played it for like 6 years until I needed to broaden my tone...
does not come with a lig from memory... so use what you have - but I will say BG ligs work great with the S80. like milandro said good cheap allrounder. also I played on a bundy 2 with an s80 - the s80 made it so much easier to get a good sound then the stock piece

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Can you explain to my wife that it's "cheap" arrrhgggh!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow,

What a quick reply. Thanks alot for your information.

I think I will go on with Selmer S80 C*. And See what happenned.

But Please convince me that My old mouthpiece is a BIG different than this selmer mpc. Is it?

In Indonesia, it is hard to find a Good Sax delaer. We have Yamaha Factory For only YAS-275.
and its rare to find Special School for wind or brass Instruments. So We learn from players to players and From Import books.

And Have you all heard about Japan-Chinese Horn called "J Michael" ?
They have a big market in Indonesia.
It have a selmer paris design I guess. very very cheap. only USD400,-
see the attachment

Thanks guys

mike

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Looks like another Chinese made Selmer clone like the ones all over eBay...

And for the record, I like the Vandoren Optimum AL3 (or even the Vandoren V5 A27) a lot more than the C* too...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
MojoBari said:
I find the Selmers inconsistent. You need to try several to get a good one. I think a Vandoren Optimum would be a better choice for the same price.
I agree that you to test several C* pieces before finding a great one. Take your time, and good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts