Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In looking for a new alto mouthpiece I have been reading posts on these forums for hours and I figured it might be easiest to just post my question and let this great community help me out.

I mainly play in the band at my church. We play blues/gospel/rock tunes where I am backing up a vocalist & sometimes soloing, we play acoustic rock instrumentals, and on the side we do some gigs playing electric rock, fusion, and a little funk. For the past couple years I've been using a Jody Jazz DV 6 (78 tip opening I believe). When I first got the mouthpiece I was in love with it's power and free blowing qualities. I definitely need a tone with some healthy brightness to it in order to cut through drums and electric guitar rock type instrumentation. But I'm not happy with the DV 6 anymore. At quieter volumes it doesn't sound very refined or elegant, and often the highs seem to dominate the sound too much (especially with a mic). When trying to play background figures behind a vocalist I tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

From what I've read I think I may want to head toward the Meyer school of sound conception. My main influence, Leroi Moore (of Dave Matthews Band) played a variety of vintage meyers too. I'm kind of leaning towards ordering a piece from GWind player (ebay seller) or Phil-Tone. But I want to hear what everyone else thinks.

I'm basically looking for something less edgy than my JJ DV 6 but bigger sounding than the modern day meyer 5M/6M I used back in high school. I tried using my meyer 6M but I feel like I'm pushing more air through it than it can handle, and it feels "stuffy". I'm open to anything you guys think would work well. Sorry for making this post so long.

Thanks for the help!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
I have a Theo Wanne Kali 7 for sale that might be the perfect solution for your situation. It has a modern, bright tone, but it's much more versatile than the JJ DV and it can whisper when needed. However, it may not be within your budget ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jazz house -- thanks, I'm looking those links over right now.

jlima -- It probably isn't. My budget is about $200 max.

from what I'm reading vandoren jumbo java might be good to try. Does anyone have experience with Bari brand alto mouthpieces? They seem to be a HR/Metal hybrid. I'd be interested to hear how they perform

·
More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
1,751 Posts
Mouthpieces are so very individual, but I'll weigh in anyway, since I just switched alto pieces (though I have No experience with Bari.)

I switched from a "vintage-style" Ponzol HR (.075) to a Meyer Richie Cole HR (.071). The Meyer Cole has a fatter sound than the Ponzol, and is more versatile, as I can get on it and cut through when I want to, but drop back and be more neutral as well. The Cole also is less shrill on the palm keys and gets up there easier.

It runs $105 on WWBW, but I got mine from a pawnshop - - it was hooked up to a beater Conn 20m, so I offered the shop guy (an old friend) $50 plus an old Selmer Goldentone student piece that I had sitting around. He was thrilled.

The Meyer Cole didn't look like anything special, but I really am pleased with it, since the real vintage Meyers are a little beyond my means right now.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
Yeah, the Richie Cole is a nice piece. I wouldn't pick a Vandoren Java, they're difficult to control at low volumes.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you choose between the GW or Phil-tone piece, I'd personally go Phil-tone. I have the GW Meyer piece but there are a few problems:

1. nobody wants to buy one. don't think about resell at more than 40% loss
2. they are only shortly play tested and there can be some big problems. In the case of mine, it plays with squeaks until your embouchure adapts. Essentially for the first 3 minutes I squeak on it :/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
For a Meyer type piece (that's not a Meyer), I think that the Phil Tone is excellent. So are the Vandoren V16 pieces and the Mouthpiece Cafe NYC, though that one is a bit brighter which may suit you fine for your situation.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
If you choose between the GW or Phil-tone piece, I'd personally go Phil-tone. I have the GW Meyer piece but there are a few problems:

1. nobody wants to buy one. don't think about resell at more than 40% loss
2. they are only shortly play tested and there can be some big problems. In the case of mine, it plays with squeaks until your embouchure adapts. Essentially for the first 3 minutes I squeak on it :/
If you are having problems with one of Greg Wier's pieces you should email him about it. I have owned four GW mouthpieces and had three others refaced, and they have all been fantastic players that never squeak due to any mouthpiece malfunction. Therefore, I disagree with you on all counts aforementioned. B:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried a Jody Jazz HR and it felt really dead. Is it supposed to be comparable to a meyer? Maybe I had a lemon.

Right now I'm trying to decide between ordering a few pieces from WWBW and doing a trial at home or ordering from someone who does custom work (which is very tempting for me because I've never had the privileged of playing a custom piece before)

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you are having problems with one of Greg Wier's pieces you should email him about it. I have owned four GW mouthpieces and had three others refaced, and they have all been fantastic players that never squeak due to any mouthpiece malfunction. Therefore, I disagree with you on all counts aforementioned. B:cool:
Glad to see everything is working for you!
I emailed him but its my only jazz piece so I don't want to be without it, and even though its not a huge hassle, I sort of wish he would pay some shipping if not all because it was a defect in the piece that I think is his responsibility. And then again, you had 3 of them refaced. Greg's work confuses me. It looks like a monkey did it IMHO (ugly as heck and sloppy) but it just works...The sound is very, very nice regardless of my problems. To be honest, his work looks most like Ralph Morgan's work, just not as clean. Also, I've looked up on ebay to see close ups of his new pieces, and his design has not only changed, but the facing work is better to the point that its noticeable off of the ebay pics

1 - 16 of 16 Posts