Sax on the Web Forum banner

Alto Mouthpiece for Pep Band

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Clarinetdude108 
#1 ·
Hi all! This is my first post as a SotW member.

I was looking into purchasing a mouthpiece for my alto that I play in the school's Pep Band. I play a Yamaha Yas-62 in Pep Band, if that means anything. I have a Meyer 5M and a C* with my Custom Z, and right now I usually take the Meyer out of my Custom case and put it in my 62 case. It's a good mouthpiece, but having to switch mouthpieces in and out can get to be a hassle. I was thinking about getting a V16; it seems to have gotten positive vibes on the board. I want something that can produce a good deal of volume but still sound decent.

Thanks a lot!

#2 ·
Get a Dukoff with the biggest tip opening you can find. :twisted:

Oh, wait, you said PEP band, not MARCHING band...in that case, the V16 should be fine. It's really a copy of the older Meyer pieces.

Oh and use the search function (GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE)

#4 ·
Actually, I figured that Gary or Grumps would jump in and tell you to use the search engine...I was just trying to get the jump on them!:D

#5 ·
If you can find a rico metalite, that would be even better. I played bari in pep band, and I took a graphonite and completely hot-rodded it. I even got the chance to show it to Denis Diblasio, the famous bari player, and his facial expression was priceless.

#8 ·
They usually don't play marching music though. The instrumentation can range from a jazz band playing jazz to my band, wich was a marching size band with a drum set playing classic rock and funk.

Here is a youtube link to my high school band playing a song.

We were a pretty decent band. We even made a CD my senior year as a fund raiser.

#9 ·
Hey, thanks for all the responses. And Grumps' answer to Pete's question pretty much sums it up. We play mostly classic rock/pop/funk tunes to "pep" the crowd/team up. We have a pretty brassy band as far as orchestration (probably about 40 members at the men's games: 5 saxes, 2 clarinets, 2 pics, a rhythm section, and the rest are mellos, bones, trumpets, and baritones). Hence, that's why I wanted a pretty voluminous mouthpiece. Pep Band's pretty fun; I mainly chose to participate in it because it was the closest thing to marching band (and even that's a bit of a stretch). Basketball's exciting, getting inside the other team's head is fun, and I get paid a little bit to do it. Win-win, I guess.

Most of our stuff isn't marching band music, but I do know we play JMU's version of "Get it On" that Robert W. Smith arranged.

#10 ·
I agree with J Max. Get a Dukoff, D7 will probably do the trick. Pep bands are all about energy and volume. They usually have a drum set so it will be very loud. You need to be HEARD! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.