Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alto Modèle 26 And Playing F#

I'm wondering if any of the Modèle 26 owners can tell me how they play high F# on the alto. My usual fingering of high F + C and side Bb doesn't seem to work even though high F + C produces a powerful and perfectly pitched F.

Does it have its own fingering or am I going to have to keep using my usual fingering until I work out what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: Alto Modèle 26 And Playing F#

I get a slightly sharp F# fingering Front f, c, side Bb and F... on a New largebore alto. B, G, F and (low) Eb works too, but is a bit more stuffy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts

I find that the altissimo is helped by adding low C and low Bb. Another fingering is to try front F, (B) and the bis key on some horns.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts

I'm wondering if any of the Modèle 26 owners can tell me how they play high F# on the alto. My usual fingering of high F + C and side Bb doesn't seem to work even though high F + C produces a powerful and perfectly pitched F.

Does it have its own fingering or am I going to have to keep using my usual fingering until I work out what I'm doing wrong?
My go-to fingering is just like front high F, adding also RH 1 & 2 and side Bb. This works on every horn I've tried it on (though I have never played a Model 26 Selmer). Typically, though, different instruments like a slightly different combination of the RH keys. You may have better success with only one of RH1 or RH2, or maybe just those without the side Bb.

My other go-to fingering, which does not work on all instruments due to the different ways LH linkages are constructed, is LH1, LH3, RH1. You have to voice this one a bit differently. For me the voicing of this one is similar to the voicing of the alternate high E fingering I use fairly often especially on horns without the front high F, namely LH 1-2-3, G#, side high E. So you may want to make the high E that way and then try to transition to the LH 1-3 RH1 high F#.

And as usual, the degree of opening of the F pad with the front high F key can be adjusted for best results. Some horns seem to like it more open and some prefer it open just a crack. I am pretty sure that among the 3 Conns that are my main instruments, some of them want it open and some just cracked (can't remember which). So that's also something to look into. Because the F pad is only acting as a vent, lowering its height when it's opened by the front F probably won't affect intonation of the high F. At least not very much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts