Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Rascher, and I want to upgrade from my Rovner Dark ligature. I like to keep a darker, sombre-like tone that still has a bit of an edge, good clarity, and color to it. I've been using this mouthpiece for years, and I absolutely love it, along with the fact that I know how to change my embouchure in order to get the tone I want, but lately, I've been dissatisfied with my lack of changing timbres because of my mouthpiece. I'm willing to go a little brighter and get a better articulate sound, by changing ligs.

All responses are greatly appreciated, and if possible, I would love to get a synopsis of why you got the ligature you got (whatever it may be) and if it's one of the three I have mentioned, exactly the characteristics of the one you have. Thank you so much!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,438 Posts
I have a box of ligatures that include many brands and styles. I've found all Rovner ligs to be about the same regardless of marketing hype about "dark", "light", etc. The one Rovner with which I found a difference was my Eddie Daniels II ligs (for sop, alto, clarinet). They are the closest to metal ligs that I've found.

The metal lig I always come back to is the Selmer metal two/band-two/screw ligatures for all of my horns. It isn't so much the brightness but how they respond for me . . . full, best volume, and good control. And, I've found that many ligs are sensitive to what reed is being used - not just brand, strength, and cut, but the qualities of the individual reed. One reed will play great with a Rovenr regardless of the so-called style, others not so much. DAVE

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Versa has looked the most appealing to me, but one thing I don't like is that it's not metal, so I can't tighten up the ligature to accommodate for a bad reed I'm using (which I realized that tighten the lig almost fixes the reed). Anyways, I'm being really picky about just buying some and trying them because I don't have the money to pay for all of them, nor to send one back and get another etc. So I guess I'm looking for a ligature that allows me to have good tone and color, and preferably metal so I can use my bad reeds and just tighten them a little. I've used an Eddie Daniels, but they're very sensitive the current reed being used.

·
14,438 Posts
I don't know the difference between a Versa and an EDII. I have both and they look the same to me except for the name on the side. Another marketing-genius effort at Rovner, I suspect.

I already gave you my recommendation - Selmer. But there are less expensive versions of that design and they work just like the Selmer metals. Try WW&BW for pricing and availability. DAVE

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eddie Daniels wasn't signed on to Rovner anymore, so they had to change the name. Anyways, how bright are they compared to a ligature, such as, the Rovner dark?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a box of ligatures that include many brands and styles. I've found all Rovner ligs to be about the same regardless of marketing hype about "dark", "light", etc. The one Rovner with which I found a difference was my Eddie Daniels II ligs (for sop, alto, clarinet). They are the closest to metal ligs that I've found.

The metal lig I always come back to is the Selmer metal two/band-two/screw ligatures for all of my horns. It isn't so much the brightness but how they respond for me . . . full, best volume, and good control. And, I've found that many ligs are sensitive to what reed is being used - not just brand, strength, and cut, but the qualities of the individual reed. One reed will play great with a Rovenr regardless of the so-called style, others not so much. DAVE
I agree 100% with what Dave says here. I also have a collection of ligs and the only 2 that I currently use are either a rovner versa (which is the same as the old Eddie Daniels lig or a selmer 2 screw metal. Now ,back to the OP, if you are playing a Rascher ( I really don't know much about that piece, I assume it is a classical piece ) and you want to go a bit brighter, I would try a selmer 2 screw lig. They are still great ligs. I play mainly in loudish club bands and as I said, I only use the versa or a selmer 2 screw , depending on my setup at the time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The Versa has looked the most appealing to me, but one thing I don't like is that it's not metal, so I can't tighten up the ligature to accommodate for a bad reed I'm using (which I realized that tighten the lig almost fixes the reed). Anyways, I'm being really picky about just buying some and trying them because I don't have the money to pay for all of them, nor to send one back and get another etc. So I guess I'm looking for a ligature that allows me to have good tone and color, and preferably metal so I can use my bad reeds and just tighten them a little. I've used an Eddie Daniels, but they're very sensitive the current reed being used.
If you are saying "preferably metal" , then just get a selmer 2 screw lig and forget the rovners because they are not metal (only the Versa has some metal, that being the bottom rails that touch the reed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So say I do get the Selmer lig, how bright is it, how much does it compare to other ligature, both Rovners and metal ones?

·
14,438 Posts
Bright and dark are too subjective to describe any lig's sound, at least in my view. I've posted several times about how one person's dark is another person's bright. But what I can tell you is that I hear and feel a noticeable difference when I switch between Rovner ligs of any design and the old Selemr two-screw ligs. I hear more resonance and more edge in my sound. However, 20 feet in front of the horn - I don't know. Any recordings I've done have been with Selmer ligs. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,589 Posts
I would suggest trying the Vandoren M/O or Vandoren Master's. Bay is definitely a good choice, and Bonade might also work for you (and the Bonade is pretty inexpensive).

You may need to buy the clarinet size in whatever ligature you get, as the Rascher mouthpieces have a fairly small circumference. If you are thinking to order something that isn't available locally, I'd suggest
trying a friend's metal clarinet ligature for sizing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may need to buy the clarinet size in whatever ligature you get said:
I can attest to the small size, but do you know for sure or is it an estimation? I have used the stock lig for the stock mouthpiece for my Cannonball sax on my Rascher which works just fine. (Except for the pretty bad tone and lack of control) But for sizing matters, that works, unless those run small also.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
+1 for the Bonade. You can get it in inverted or standard, though I like the inverted. For sizing, if the lig is a little loose, just cut a piece from a business card (or two pieces) and put it under the top of the lig. That will fix any size problems.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,589 Posts
I can attest to the small size, but do you know for sure or is it an estimation? I have used the stock lig for the stock mouthpiece for my Cannonball sax on my Rascher which works just fine. (Except for the pretty bad tone and lack of control) But for sizing matters, that works, unless those run small also.
I don't know for sure, which is why I said to give it a test if you can (or if you are ordering online you can order both and return one). My experience has been that even some alto ligatures that more-or-less fit still slip when adjusting a mouthpiece that is on a tight cork. With Bays I have used the large clarinet size in those instances and the clarinet sizes in the Vandoren Masters and Optimum. Remember most alto ligatures are designed to fit the circumference of a Meyer or C* because they are so common.

·
2,309 Posts
ANY lig is going to have a very negligible change to your sound, especially since you state you have played on you mouthpiece for years. You will naturally and subconsciously adjust to get the "tone" you've been producing.

If you are looking for a noticeable change look into different mouthpieces.

JR

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
Reeds should be considered too.
personally, I am using a PARASCHOS ligature. Give it some considerations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried alexander's and loved them, but they are expensive, and also the Rico Reserve Classiques are OK. I like the Vandoren v12s, and found that moving down from 4, to 3.5, to now 3 has helped me considerably get the tone I want. But I still want more color. I feel like I need something different, and changing reeds only irritates me to find that it's way more difficult to get the sound I'm looking for with other reeds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went ahead and ordered the Bay Ligature (gold) for clarinet, after trying out a metal ligature of a clarinet of a friend. I just hope the size is right, and the ligature is as good as I've heard and better than my Rovner Dark. I'll update how it works once I get it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts