Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to spend anywhere up to $250 on a mouthpiece for my mark vi which i recently got. I wanted something with a nice warm full tone but still with a little brightness any ideas

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
raf:) said:
what about a ligiture what do u think
Well, I think they all sound the same, but the Francois Louis "Ultimate Ligature" is a very fashionable piece of gear right now. It will set you back $50, but it looks really cool.

As far as the mouthpiece, you will find as many different answers as people. My method of choosing mouthpieces used to be to find a player that I liked a lot and somewhat replicate their setup. It wont make you sound like them, but I always felt that new equipment was like a clean slate for my tonal concepts.

You have a good horn, make sure you put some nice equipment on it.

~Zach

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what facing is easier to controll i've played a .078 my whole sax life but i wonder is there is anything easier to controll and will produce a louder tone that is still intune

·
Registered
640 Posts
Grab a meyer and send it out to a good refacer (Mouthpiece Guys, EZ, Mojo, etc). That'd be right in your budget, and you'd get a KILLER mouthpiece. Any one of those refacers would be able to tailor the mouthpiece to your wants and needs. I may have some good Early Babbit Meyers laying around if you are interested *wink wink*.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Come on, the Olegature looks way cooler than the FL...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
You don't need a new, and especially a designer, lig. until you've got a mpc that works well for you. And if the stock mpc and lig. give you what you want, your search is ended. :)

Regarding stock mpcs, I just tested four Vandoren V16s and all of them were uniform and high quality. I wouldn't think of sending one to a refacer. I have an aquaintance who is a terrific pro alto player who just got a Meyer stock and likes it just the way it is. It seems to me more logical to get four mpcs of the same kind from ww&bw and pick the best of the litter. Then, unless you have some special requirements, if you're not satisfied send it out and/or monkey around with ligs. Just put this statement into perspective; some stock mpcs have a better track record wth their production quality than others.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Get a Morgan 6m second hand. You can get it for less than $150 usually, and it will have just as good a facing as sending a Meyer off to get refaced. Ralph is truly a legend in the business, and hand-makes all of his pieces. He should be charging at least $300 for each piece based on the quality of the pieces and other mouthpiece makers' prices.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
went into a music store in boston today spent hours trying out diffrent mouth pieces ended up getting a ponzo l

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
MojoBari said:
Did you try 4 of the same chamber and facing? How subtle/big were the differences?
All were A6Ms (alto). There was very little difference. I don't mean any insult, but probably for an intermediate player, they wouldn't even know the difference. Two were ever so slightly clearer than the other two and one of these seemed to have a weeee bit fuller core to the sound. Hair splitting Keith. The uniformity and quality was high.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
raf:) said:
what about a ligiture what do u think
Yes, definitely worth using one.

If you want a moothpiece that allows you warmth and brighrnes then RPC is probably a good way to go.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts