Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i've been playing H&A selmer bundy alto. i think i've been playing saxophone for about 1-2 years. though its tone is nice, and so many friends say so, but i'd like to get a new one. i want a saxophone with darker sound. but with limited budget, not more than 1000 usd i guess. what should i get? thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello and welcome to SOTW. I don't know much here but still feel like sharing my 2 cents..

I see your other thread stating you're in Indonesia and there's no shop carrying a lot of gear for you to try, so your question would be a little tough to answer.

What mouthpiece/reed/lig are you using now? Often I find changing these setups would already make a noticible difference on the same horn. It's more affordable an investment in most cases. Don't know about bundy alto, but I've played a '60-'70s bundy tenor and it's tone is quite acceptable as a student horn.

You can start the search within your local group/class/sax player circle; have others (better if you can find a more experienced player) test your horn with your setup, or test their horn/setup. This should give you some ideas, and if they can get those equipment into Indonesia maybe you can get yours too.

I find some learners with 1-2 yrs mileage, at least for whom I know (myself once included), thought our setup were too bright and went looking for darker equipement, but indeed we sounded too thin and we're looking for is a fatter, deeper tone. This may not be your case, but no harm giving it a thought...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Dark sound and limited budget: if you're patient, you might find a used Yanagisawa A-901. The best horn for the money in the midrange area. Actually, any Yanagisawa, provided it is in good shape, should be fine. The Yamahas in general are all very good, but the midrange tends to be on the bright side. Both brands are really international, so you should be able to find them anywhere.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,816 Posts
I think the best horn for your budget has to be an older horn if not vintage and since I think that you might find the transition to a more modern finger system how about considering some of the later models of Grassi (they can be bought for a song and are very good) , perhaps a Keilwerth post 1980 and prior to the SX series?
Both would be excellent horns, very dark and not particularly sought after so their price will be very contained.
Some members here , like JaySF, have a flourishing online business with good and guaranteed second hand horns and have gained a reputation that is to be reckoned with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Any one know of a Grassi Professional alto for sale ?
Nice highjack!

Put a "Horn Wanted" ad in the Marketplace if you want some help.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i like my 1st generation walstein tenor. It plays slightly dark with my rubber mouthpiece.
I'd imagine the latest walstein altos are probably still in your price range and good quality.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Nice highjack!

Put a "Horn Wanted" ad in the Marketplace if you want some help.
Good ol' Doctor...smooth and tactful as always....

I think, Pqmzia...if you are in Indonesia, you need to tell us if there are any places there that deal in Saxes. If so, what brands do they carry ? Is there any sort of market for used instruments there ?

Generally, as others have alluded to, older horns tend to have darker tones than contemporary ones (one of the main reasons people love them). So, as you are on an older Bundy already, moving to another vintage sort of horn would not be much of a problem for you. $1000usd is a very good budget, you can get a very good horn and in most instances I would say use that money to buy a professional vintage instrument.

Keep in mind that, given that advice, you will likely be buying from abroad and perhaps would be buying a model which you have never had a chance to play.

I guess my point being, there are pluses and minuses to both options. There are new or newer horns which might be more readily available to you which, for $1000 new, are going to be better instruments than your Bundy. But I am not sure they will have the sort of tone you are after, as the vast majority of contemporary horns sound brighter than their older cousins. So, if you went for the tone and decided on an older horn, you would be picking up a far superior instrument than either the Bundy or a new $1000 model....but likely would not have played it before buying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies :D

yes i live in indonesia right now. there are some new horns sold here. but the only good new horn is yamaha. the others are chinese (yeah so many beginners here, saxo becomes popular now, and chinese saxos are favourites). but sometimes there are some people order exclusively from usa or europe via online. i once saw someone sold selmer ref 54, brand new in box. by the way for yamaha saxo, YAS 275 and YAS 475 here is cheaper than in usa i think. i saw someone sellin on ebay for yas 275 about 1500usd new (am i correct?) here yas 275 only 880-900 usd new, yas 475 only 1100-1200usd new. but the others like yas 62 is more expensive. its 3400usd if im not mistaken

saxo is rare, and every saxo sold here is more expensive than i saw on ebay. like my bundy. the good condition alto bundy costs 550-800usd! *though i was lucky to get an alto for 400usd and tenor for 500usd, but yeah i saw on the internet that bundy in usa only about 300usd (i was thinking to buy some, and resell them here lol)
and old saxophones are limited here. i only found bundy, conn (shooting stars, naked lady), buescher (forget the type), dolnet. but yeah the bundy costs 700usd and buescerh and others are 1000s -__-. because of that here bundy is used until intermediate even pro.

so the best way (cheapest way) to buy a horn is : youtube->shop online.

ah btw i found someone selling his ida maria grassi. is it j grassi you mean milandro? the bad thing is he's far from my place. 2 hours via plane so i cant test it.

·
38,816 Posts
hi, nice to hear that saxophone users are on the up over there , they are definitely decreasing over here!

Yes, the Grassi that I am talking about are the IDA MARIA GRASSI made in Italy not the later ones made in Taiwan (although, to be honest, those are good too! Especially the Jazz Line with black kangaroo pads and white porcelain reflectors.........). If you find one of those ( professional or prestige) they are very good, also other earlier series are good but not as modern as these two. I know Indonesia is huge so 2 hours by plane is probably not too far away! :) anyway , if you get pictures ( DETAILED!) of your Grassi I would be very happy to examine them for you but I could never tell you how it plays for you.

Yamaha made in Indonesia or China are definitely cheaper now than they were before. Second hand Vito Yamaha are very cheap over here.

·
38,816 Posts
unfortunately I don't use facebook

·
38,816 Posts
I don't know how much this is for but I would pass on this and I would wait for something nicer, this is a type with the less modern keywork (equivalent to the so called Jade Rollers ) and the general conditions appear to be much worse than the ones that I come across over here (I see them several times a year being sold around these parts).

·
38,816 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this horn is about 800usd i think, not sure with the conversion idr-usd
ah yeah one more info i havent told. here in indonesia so many saxophonists want to get a bright sound (mostly why they started to play the saxophone is because dave koz, kenny g. others are not famous here -_-"). so it's hard to get a dark gear. very hard to find otto link mp, meyer. but very easy to find jumbo java, dukoff, beechler (while most music shops only sell rico and student mps such as primo) i think that's why bundy can reach 800usd -_-

·
38,816 Posts
800$ is way too much , price is a local thing but we pay as little as 300$ for things in better shape as that!

I wouldn't call a Beechler " dark gear" by any stretch of imagination!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah that's why i was thinking to buy some horns and resell it here. hahaha
this country has bad people, and we can 'play' with taxes, so.... yeah no problem to buy online (even if we want to pay the tax legally, we can't. the tax is determined by the workers, not the law -__-

beechler is very bright, especially the metal marienthal uses.

·
38,816 Posts
if you have access to some good technicians you can acquire good and cheap horns these days that are sold cheap because the price of the repairs exceeds their value

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
there is technician here who is quiet famous. a man from... (dont know forget, but i think africa?) also repair his woodwind here, because of the quality and the cheapness. full custom repad only 75 usd, that makes my bundy from sing awfully to sing very nicely

1 - 20 of 34 Posts